Table saw blade choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

In the near future I will need to rip down a fair bit of reclaim keruing with my TS (7 and 8' lengths), do you think I can get away with a 40 tooth blade (300mm) or do I really need to go down to something like 24 tooth? Reason for mentioning the 40 tooth is I can get 40 tooth blades fairly cheap at the moment. I'm not fussed about the blade lasting forever, just needed for this job really.

Any thoughts from the collective?

8)

I reckon that you will 'get away with it' as you put it but a proper ripping blade will be faster and put less strain on the saw motor If it happens to be under powered.

If the reclaimed timber has any risk of metal in it , you might want to think about a metal detector?

Bob

Hi,

I used a mulipurpose blade for ages and when I did get a rip blade it was a shock just how much easier it cut the wood. Even if you are only doing a few lengths now I would advise it twice as quick and less burning and strain on the motor like Bob says.

Alan

I got a ripping blade from Doug at cutting solutions, think its about 18 tooth, it was fairly cheap and works well.

It rather depends on how thick your wood is. If it is all 1" stuff then I think that 40T will probably be a very good choice, maybe even better than a proper rip blade. But for 2" and above 40T will be a bit fine and not have enough gullet space to clear away the sawdust effectively enough.

In the interests of mechanical simpathy I'll pony up and get a ripping blade, hadnt considered the extra strain that I might be putting on my TS for the sake of a few extra pounds. Cuts will be both 45mm and 75-80mm so will need something that clears debris reasonably well, seen some record power blades that should suit on ebay for not a lot.

Thanks for the input one and all.

(hammer)

Back