Table saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at buying a tablesaw, and I'm seriously considering the
Scheppach ts2000, with the sliding table, extensions, etc.

At a push I'm considering the ts2500, but may have to forgo the accessories....

Any comments on these saws? I'll be using it for general DIY/woodwork, including MDF boards, small cabinet work, etc.

archpa, You only have to read the forum to see that the Scheppach is the saw of choice for many people. It came top in a tool poll of table saws equal with the Kity having 6 owners.

Hi archpa

Be aware that the whole of the Scheppach range is being brought up to date with the addition of a cast iron table top. The TS2500 is just about to be launched and the 2000 will follow on in, I believe, about five to six weeks. The 2000 is going to be manufactured in the FAR EAST. The price of the 2500 is also going up by, again I believe, another hundred pound or so.

You might want to have a look at the Jet SS, which comes in at 1,175 with the sliding cast iron table? :wink:

Cheers
Neil

EDIT Re FAR EAST.

Don't think the TS2000 is changing though. Although it may be cheaper according to NMA.

I have one and find it very good. It depends how much space you have in your workshop really. The price difference between the TS2000 with all the gubbins and the vanilla TS2500 - isn't much - but the TS2500 is a fair bit bigger.

I actually find the TS2000 very capable - with all the extras attached it has enough capacity for me ... for the time being.

Cheers

Gidon

Hi archpa,

I have the ts2500 and it is a first class bit of kit, so if you have got the room i would go for this one and buy the extras (sliding table, extensions etc) as and when you can afford them.

On the other hand if you do not have the room, will not be using 8x4 sheets, and you want the sliding table etc straight away you will find the ts2000 of equal quality.

To confuse you even more if i knew then what i know now i would wait and buy the cast iron model.

Hope this helps

Mike

I Have the TS2500 - with the sliding carriage - and RHS table extension - and I find I never use it (I haven't got the space to lift it up currently but that's beside the point :oops: . What I find is that the sliding carriage covers all the requirements I have - even when I put sheets through it.

Certainly one big plus if the Scheppach over the Jet is it's much better capable of cutting large sheets on the sliding table - the Jet doesn't have any extenders which is a shame.

I've found the scheppach superb in use - the quality of cuts - and the power - I've rip cut some 2 inch oak and it zoomed through! So the only thing is whether you can afford the TS2500 with the sliding carriage - I'd definately recommend you do get a carriage as they make things much safer, especially if you are cutting with blade tilted.

Adam

Hello Archpa.

Another happy TS2500 owner here. Since getting mine the similarly priced Jet became available and having seen it the case for the TS2500 wasn't quite as clear cut. If they are putting a cast iron table on the TS2500 however I don't think it will be beaten in this price bracket.
I have done a fair bit of panel work on mine and the sliding carriage has been a joy to use (but not to initially set up). I use it for all my mitre cuts as well as the mitre slot on the table is a bit sloppy. This will also probably be solved with a cast table.
So my advice would be to go for the updated TS2500 either with the carriage or get the carriage later.
My only concern would be the additional weight of the cast iron as I nedd to move my saw from time to time due to space limitations. I think they will need to beef up the legs.

Roy

Well I decided on the Scheppach TS2000 with extensions and wheels - mainly for cost and space reasons. It arrives today(all seven packages), so can't wait...

Hi archpa,

I'm also in the market for a new TS, to replace the dire Draper thing that I bought some years back - it makes an ear deafening sound and vibrates like mad - scares me half to death every time I use it :cry:

Anyway, I've got my eye on the TS2000 because my workshop isn't large, but I want a quiet and precise replacement for the draper. I've looked briefly at the TS2500 but I think it's just going to be too big (much as I'd like it).

I'd be interested to hear in your experiences with your new TS2000 - I've read Charley's review of course, but 2nd and 3rd opinions are always a bonus :) .

However, I am slightly concerned to hear that they may start building the TS2000 in the far east .... not only from a quality stand-point but also because I like to buy British or European built goods if I can.

I also still have the painful authorisation process to go through with LOML (to release the funds) but that's another story :twisted:

Cheers,
Martin.

Hi sda,

Thanks for the link - looks very nice but a little over my budget. I can probably get away with £1000 but much more than that is pushing it. The Dwally also looks slightly on the large side, but I guess the picture with the extensions on can be deceiving.

What I particularly like about the TS2000 is the fold-down extension tables - sounds ideal given the space constraints that I have...

Cheers,
Martin.

It's nice to see I am not the only one with a Draper. It has served it's purpose now. Primarily it taught me the limitations of these small saws. They were a lot more expensive when I got mine than now. With the demise of Kity I am leaning more towards the Electra Beckum 200 now. The Sheppach won't fit in the space I have availible. My piggy bank needs a bit more before opening though. :lol:

Dewy":1ez1u6gt said:
They were a lot more expensive when I got mine than now.

Yep - I think I paid about £240 for mine from a local dealer (which at the time wasn't a bad price - just a little sickening when you consider what you can get for not much more nowadays).

Cheers,
Martin.

Similar here Martin. I got it because my local tool shop were giving the legs with it instead of an extra £30. I soon found out those legs have a flaw. The weld breaks after some use. They stopped stocking the Draper because of it. I drilled each leg & reinforced it with bolts to stop it collapsing after the 1st weld broke in use.

Hi archpa
I would seriously consider thr EB PK series, very well made and super precicion bits of kit, pictures don`t do them justice until I saw my mates and was smitten. Quality is second to none and the acuracy of cut has to be seen to be belived and all this with a sliding table AND extenstion for under £700 (including legs). Have a look at my workshop photo`s to get an idea of the size of the machine in the workshop (by the way, mines a pk200)

Where are your workshop photos Jim?
I did a quick search under your name but they eluded me. :roll:
I'd still love a Kity 419 but the Lecky Becky PK200 looks as good.
Pity it went up in price a lot this year. Rutlands had them at £630 last year but they are now £690.
It'll take me about 6 months to fill the piggy bank & they will probably go up again by that time :(

Dewy, have a look in the gallery under workshops-Jim

I finally found it at the bottom of the page.
It asked me to logon but wouldn't accept this name & password. :(
The PK200 is looking better to me all the time.
The 8" blade should pose no problems withthe sliding carriage as I lose depth of cut using a panel cutting jig on the Draper.
I've never needed the full 75mm depth in the last 6 years so no great loss.
Thanks a lot Jim.

Hasnt got the greatest depth of cut on the 200 but as you say, you never need it! I would recommend this saw to anyone. A great bit of kit!!! and a GREAT plus is the trenching facility with the retracting riving knife.

Back