Table saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Martin

I have not really had much time to use the saw yet, but I have assembled it and made 30 cuts or so. Consider this and the fact that it's my first tablesaw when you read me response.

I'm very happy with the saw. From a performance point of view, I can't
fault it, and I'm very happy. I got the sliding carriage which I assembled this weekend, but did not have the space to try out because of the junk in the garage. (But spent the rest of the weekend clearing it out, so tonight I should be able to try it out.)

From a size point of view, I chose this saw for the same reason you are - space. I ordered the hinged side extension so I can keep it down most of the time. IMO it's also a good balance between weight and portability - got the wheel kit and can drag it out the garage door if I want to cut up sheets.

So yes I'd recommend it on the little experiance I have had so far.

Just one thing - the throat plate is made of thinish aluminium and runs the length of the table. A spring lifts it up against a screw for easy removal. The plate seems to bend slightly. I don't know if this affects the saw's performance, but I thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise a great saw which I would recommend.

cambournepete":322oek6j said:
Jim":322oek6j said:
Dewy, have a look in the gallery under workshops-Jim

Jim,

That workshop is far too clean and tidy - you should be ashamed of yourself. You clearly never do any work in there !! :D :wink: :wink:

You woudn`t believe how long it took me to get in to the habit of tidying the place up after every job but it`s worth it going into a nice tidy workshop everyday (apart from the large pile of shavings that has been hanging around the lathe for a few days now :shock: ) :wink:

as you can probably guess I`m well pleased with my kity 419, well worth the 2 weeks chasing to get all the bits!!!!

When I go back and read the reviews that I used when choosing the saw I'd say that I agree with all the comments. The kity is well made, pleasing to the eye, and a wonderful performer, its just a shame that they let everybody down by going under..........

I`m still getting used to not having to chase the saw across the workshop when it fires up :shock: and the axminster machine roller-stand thingy I bourght was a quality purchase...... well pleased!

if I were in your position I`d even consider looking second hand? have you tried phoning round to get a kity? machine mart said that they still had a few.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

archpa":9d9n97ke said:

Thanks for the update archpa - I'm still in the contemplation stage, and Rutlands (damn them) only went and sent me an email tonight advertising the new cast iron TS2500. :evil:

Damn! I know I shouldn't because it will be too big for my shop, but something Adam said struck a chord with me - "you wont be in the same workshop forever". Arrrggg! I hate being indecisive ...

Martin.

Martin":1di3dy2r said:
archpa":1di3dy2r said:

Thanks for the update archpa - I'm still in the contemplation stage, and Rutlands (damn them) only went and sent me an email tonight advertising the new cast iron TS2500. :evil:

Damn! I know I shouldn't because it will be too big for my shop, but something Adam said struck a chord with me - "you wont be in the same workshop forever". Arrrggg! I hate being indecisive ...

Martin.

Martin,

To put it into context - my workshop is 10 x 8 *foot* and I have the TS2500 in there. It actually works out fine, except as recently when I needed to rip a really long length - so manouvered it outside. It requires a bit of discipline to keep the junk out - but you really aren't likely to replace a £800 saw with a £1000 saw, or a £1000 saw with a £1200 pound saw just becuase you got a workshop a "little" bit larger. You have to decide upfront what size saw you would like long term, and put up with space difficilties in the short tem until you get a bigger place. I consider my table saw to be at least a 20 year, if not lifetime investment. Thats how I think of it anyway.

Adam

Adam,

You're right there - about a year ago I decided to try my hand at turning and purchased a new lathe, which at the time seemed like an impossible feat given the free space that I had in the workshop. However, after a tidy-up and abit of re-arranging things I managed to fit it in without any problem, so it can be done.

I already have one of those dinky 10" (cheapo) tablesaws in there which sits in the corner when not in use, so I wouldn't have to find that much more space - again, I think it's probably a case of getting clever with the arrangement of the workshop.

My workshop is not much bigger than yours - perhaps 8'x15', but I have a lot of stuff in there, including some things that are not workshop related (but haven't managed to persuade the wife that they belong in the house yet!).

Trev
You're not related to my wife by any chance? She also has this uncanny knack of knowing what I'm thinking, especially when it comes to parting with money.... :twisted:

Martin.

Martin":2c1wqolu said:
My workshop is not much bigger than yours - perhaps 8'x15', but I have a lot of stuff in there, including some things that are not workshop related Martin.

Ahh, I built a little outhouse, from floor to about chest height, off the side of the house, and keep stuff like the lawnmower, gardening equipment etc in there. That gained me a lot of extra space. We also have a "storage" cupboard which I added loads of shelves to, and moved all my electrical stuff (cables, sockets - stuff for rewiring etc) inside - with the door shut, it's all completely hidden. The big saw was well worthwhile when I needed to rip some 2" thich oak :shock:

Adam

Martin,

Don't think I'm related, although I used to live in Guildford (Merrow Woods) many years ago! There used to be a super tool & machinery shop at the top of North Street - Messingers I believe it was called. Still there? I spent many a time drooling over their window displays in the days when I could only dream but not afford to buy tools.

The LOML has the same uncanny knack - so changed my style. I just go and buy my kit now and when it arrives say, in surprised fashion, "Oh, look what I've got!" Must be very fair here, though - she understands me and is very understanding and tolerant of my foibles.

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":1u5osenf said:
There used to be a super tool & machinery shop at the top of North Street - Messingers I believe it was called. Still there? Trev.

Was last time I was there. Loads of stuff in it, although all at Guildford prices :?

Adam

Hi Martin

Martin":1licnu5b said:
Rutlands (damn them) only went and sent me an email tonight advertising the new cast iron TS2500.

I've just been looking at the new ts2500 on the Rutlands site and I noticed that the cast iron is only on the part of the table above the main body of the saw. It appears that the side pieces look as if they are just aluminium.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/TS2500CI3||ts2500~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|3|

It might be worth having a look at the Jet because, at the moment, it's 200 pounds cheaper and all cast iron.

Cheers
Neil

Adam:
Good tip with the out-house - actually I already tried this idea but it was rejected because my wife doesn't want it taking up space on the patio.

We already have a shed in the back garden which stores the lawnmower etc. - the workshop/garage has other "household" stuff in it like an old bed, bikes (which we never use) and some old bits of furniture.

I've been lobbying for a while to get them moved out into the house (or thown out) but it hasn't washed so far. She has a strong argument (bless her) which is that I already have the largest space in the house devoted to my hobby. Can't argue with that I suppose - I'll just have to get clever and re-organise the workshop again...

Trev
Yep Messingers is still there and is a real treasure chest, although its not called Messingers any more - it was taken over by Buck & Ryan I think, but the shop (and staff) are pretty much as before.

Actually I've found their prices to be reasonably competitive, at least for power tools & machinery. Has been the source of a few of my tools, including my EB bandsaw and Makita mitre saw. Very pleased with both purchases. Unfortunately it was also the source of the rather dire 10" table saw that I'm thinking of replacing, but I guess you get what you pay for so I can't blame them really.

Neil
Thanks for the tip about the Jet - I'll take a look at it. Does it have fold down side tables like the Scheppach?

Martin.

If you are refering to the Jet 6" planer - it is just a planer not a planer/thicknesser.
The Scheppach's aluminium tables were one of its main flaws, so the cast iron should be a real bonus. The fence on the old Scheppach is truly awful. No reliable stops for 90º, lots ot flexion, and completely unreliable even when the wingnuts are tightened really fast. I had to check it for 90º every time I went to use it, and then 3 or 4 times in use. Hey - you end up with 90º cuts, but after a while this constant checking gets really mind-dumbing.
Does the new model have a cast iron fence too? If so it should be one hell of a machine for the price.

Aragorn":1d4j3pbb said:
If you are refering to the Jet 6" planer - it is just a planer not a planer/thicknesser.
The Scheppach's aluminium tables were one of its main flaws, so the cast iron should be a real bonus. The fence on the old Scheppach is truly awful. No reliable stops for 90º, lots ot flexion, and completely unreliable even when the wingnuts are tightened really fast. I had to check it for 90º every time I went to use it, and then 3 or 4 times in use. Hey - you end up with 90º cuts, but after a while this constant checking gets really mind-dumbing.
Does the new model have a cast iron fence too? If so it should be one hell of a machine for the price.

Its definately a new fence design - and cast iron.

Adam

kityuser":3vjckd5t said:
as you can probably guess I`m well pleased with my kity 419, well worth the 2 weeks chasing to get all the bits!!!!

When I go back and read the reviews that I used when choosing the saw I'd say that I agree with all the comments. The kity is well made, pleasing to the eye, and a wonderful performer, its just a shame that they let everybody down by going under..........

I`m still getting used to not having to chase the saw across the workshop when it fires up :shock: and the axminster machine roller-stand thingy I bourght was a quality purchase...... well pleased!

if I were in your position I`d even consider looking second hand? have you tried phoning round to get a kity? machine mart said that they still had a few.....
I know there are some basic machines still on sale but I want one with sliding carriage & extension table like you photo. I know someone who said his local small supplier had one but I wont go for credit.
I want the ready cash before I buy then I can use the CC for the timber. ;)

Aragorn":1dkqvvhh said:

Just for the record - the Scheppach tables are steel - not aluminium - and pretty tough (and flat). I'm not sure how much of an improvement cast iron will give but then I would say that 'cos I only bought my p/t last year! The nicest improvement in my eyes is the hinged outfeed table.

I find the fence ok but agree it's not its strongest point - and you do have to check for square after reattaching the fence (after mode change) - but I haven't found I need to check it again until the next changeover.

Cheers

Gidon

Back