Table saw advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkie

Reaction score
Hi all, looking at buying a table saw and wondered if there is a convention as to how these things are specified.

So in the spiel for the Bosch GTS10XC for example it states;
  • 47°-0-1° blade tilt (depth 79mm at 90°, 56mm at 45°)
Now with reference to the attached, it does 79mm on a vertical but does the 56mm figure relate to the vertical height of cut into that same workpiece, (a), or the actual depth of cut into the wood, (b)?

Thanks all.
Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 11.58.34.jpg

Try and think of a piece of wood say 50mm square, cut square the saw cuts through 50mm of wood, now do a cut at 45° and the cut will be 70mm. So what it is saying is that for square cuts you can do 79mm but at 45° only 56mm. This is where the bigger saws can be more versatile, they can bevel thicker sections of timber.

With the blade tilted to 45 degrees, the maximum thickness of wood you will be able to cut is 56mm. To calculate the possible thickness when changing the blade angle, use this forumla:

Thickness = sin(angle) x 79mm

Try and think of a piece of wood say 50mm square, cut square the saw cuts through 50mm of wood, now do a cut at 45° and the cut will be 70mm. So what it is saying is that for square cuts you can do 79mm but at 45° only 56mm. This is where the bigger saws can be more versatile, they can bevel thicker sections of timber.
Ok, thanks Roy. I see which way they do it. The reason I asked is that I can see that the axis upon which the blade pivots isn't at table height but I wasn't sure how the assembly under the table might affect the height of cut.

With the blade tilted to 45 degrees, the maximum thickness of wood you will be able to cut is 56mm. To calculate the possible thickness when changing the blade angle, use sin(angle) x 79mm.
Yep - cheers Mike, I remember all the SOH CAH TOA stuff, just wasn't sure if as I said above there was any kind of lateral shift involved when the blade is tilted.
It appears that there is not.

Yep - cheers Mike, I remember all the SOH CAH TOA stuff, just wasn't sure if as I said above there was any kind of lateral shift involved when the blade is tilted.
It appears that there is not.
I don't remember that stuff!🤣🤣🤣

The way to remember your trig is Old Harry And His Old Aunt

Sine = O/H Cosine = A/H Tangent = O/A where O = Opposite A = Adjacent and H = Hypotenuse

Or…..

Tommy On A Ship Of His Caught A Herring

Tan=Opposite/Adjacent Sin=Opposite/Hypotenuse
Cos=Adjacent/Hypotenuse

Pythagorus (O squared = H squared + A squared). At 45deg O = A.

Pythagoras theorem is…

Square of Hypotenuse equals sum of the squares of the other two sides….

HxH=(AxA)+(BxB)

BTW the answer appears to be a)

Using Pythagoras…
79 squared = (56 squared) x2

In other words - The blade will always cut a 79mm deep kerf but with a 45degree bevel angle that translates to 56mm height above the table surface.

For a 45 degree triangle it’s easy to remember the following:

hyp = side x sq root 2

or simply remember the figure 1.414

Or: Some Old Houses Creak And Howl Through Old Age.

Funny how they stick with you over the decades!

Back