Table saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1dutch

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My first post here and after a bit of advice on buying a table saw.

Im on the lookout for a old table saw startrite or wadkin. Happy to convert a 3 phase to 240v if needed with a new motor.

I like the look of the startrite 275’s but they seem to be a bit more expensive than the wadkin ags’s. Could anyone give any advice which is better?

There seems to be two main models of the ags’s the 10/12” and the 250/300 models. I’ve seen a 250 at auction and wondered what these are like? They look like a newer machine but not many of them around.

cheers

Andy

I have a late 70s ags10. The earlier ags10 units did not have a true riving knife, but the latter did.
The later ags10 units from mine had the same style fence as the 250 (i believe - as in i would not bet my life on it)
Mine and earlier had the front to back fence.

The ags250 has a larger centre table, and i believe the base encloses the motor, so dust extraction would be more inbuilt.

My ags10 has a 12" blade currently fitted. It fits fine for high cuts, but does not lower fully for low cuts, hence the 10" blade is recommended unless needed.

I like the saw, but then i like old British cast iron. Ive got other old British cast stuff, and also very modern precision Japanese cnc stuff. The bits that im not as keen on are the modern pressed steel things in the middle (i have an axminster planer, and, whilst its ok for what it is, for what it now costs new, there would be no doubt - id be buying a wadkin bao/s or similar)

Another old still made and excellent make is Sedgwick from Leeds, you don’t say what size you want but check them out, well made British engineering that lasts for years. Ian

If my AGS10 was stolen tomorrow, i think i would go for one of the ones with the sliding table next time. But im not bothered enough to change it now.

Thanks, I managed to pickup an AGS 12 HD model (the one with the larger table) for £300 off eBay.

it’s table seems to be in good condition but didn’t have the motor fitted, I was planning on replacing this anyway but may just buy an inverter/vfd.

What brand motors should I be looking for if I was to buy a new 240v one?

is there anything I should stay clear of when cleaning it up? Paint stripper and vinegar solution is what I was planning on using.

I'd use something less aggressive to start with.

Screwfix degreaser in 5l?

At least you won't damage the paint to start with....

Others will know better - Deema.....

Cheers James

Presuming you need a foot mounted induction motor, easy swap on some machines.
I would be looking to see what the shaft size is on the original.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to look for some second hand 3 phase motors on the bay, Make sure the motor is of suitable hp/kW and has the correct pole number.
A two pole motor will run at around 3000RPM whilst a four pole will run at half that.
Make sure the thing is dual voltage!, stated by 240v or a triangle symbol, or "delta" on the name plate.
Otherwise it would mean an expensive step up VFD to output 380v.
That's if you want anything close to plug and play, digging windings looks like it might be a rabbit hole/risky.

Myfordman (Bob) has written an extensive article on induction motors and VFD's
which is more than just worth a read.

Induction motor information here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrXNsNxTlQzd6aldlQjJtUDQ/view?usp=sharing

I'd use something less aggressive to start with.

Screwfix degreaser in 5l?

At least you won't damage the paint to start with....

Others will know better - Deema.....

Cheers James

the paint stripper was to remove the paint, I’m going to repaint it

Presuming you need a foot mounted induction motor, easy swap on some machines.
I would be looking to see what the shaft size is on the original.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to look for some second hand 3 phase motors on the bay, Make sure the motor is of suitable hp/kW and has the correct pole number.
A two pole motor will run at around 3000RPM whilst a four pole will run at half that.
Make sure the thing is dual voltage!, stated by 240v or a triangle symbol, or "delta" on the name plate.
Otherwise it would mean an expensive step up VFD to output 380v.
That's if you want anything close to plug and play, digging windings looks like it might be a rabbit hole/risky.

Myfordman (Bob) has written an extensive article on induction motors and VFD's
which is more than just worth a read.

Induction motor information here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrXNsNxTlQzd6aldlQjJtUDQ/view?usp=sharing

I have the original 3 phase 2.2kw motor it came with it was just not attached to the machine.

I will have a read of the docs

Did you check the nameplate, look under the removable cover for the terminals, or indeed the underside of the cover for a schematics diagram,
to see if it was dual voltage or fixed star wound?

Tom

This is the plate

FDC88DC8-CB05-4BFA-B222-9EA753A36868.jpeg

That’s a good 2.2KW dual voltage motor, you wire it up in delta to run it with a VFD. Chances are the bearing grease will be like tar, I’d replace the bearing. The other thing to check is to run it up on the bench to see how out of balance it is. Almost certainly it will need balancing for it to run smoothly. Usually the pulleys haven’t been balanced. It will improve the cut.

It’s missing the cooling fan and the back cover. I’m guessing it might just be easier to buy a new 240v rather than trying to fix this

Sweet!
I don't think you will get a single phase motor for 100 quid.

Depending on your supply, if you're like me and not wishing to get a sparky in
to upgrade to 16a receptacles (blue commando plug)
then three phase motor you have can be run with a VFD/inverter to suit your household supply, (if you don't already have 16a)

It the starting inertia of a single phase motor that will blow a fuse in your plug,
With the VFD you can adjust the seconds of startup to have a soft start.
Example of the bandsaw, hundred quid VFD happily running it from a 13a plug, as is the same for the 3hp startrite in the background.

Plenty of threads with Wadkin's and Startrite machines here aswell.

I’m getting a new 6mm supply run to our garage with a new sub distribution board so 16amps is not a problem. One of the previous owners has run the whole garage off a spur which is why it’s getting done properly.

what manufactures should I be looking for? I have seen some TEC motors for £180

I’ve used a lot of Tec motors, and have found them to be well balanced and haven’t had one fail, a lot of which are operating in commercial workshops.
Not sure how long the cable run is to your workshop, but 6mm sounds a bit thin. It’s not usually the static load, but the starting load of any big motors that needs to be considered. Sparkies that deal with domestic stuff arnt aware of the loads of motors. If the resistance in the feed cable is too much it drops the voltage on startup of the motor prematurely ageing everything.

I used a 2hp induction motor for my homemade bandsaw. I got it from electrotechdrives they were very helpful and the wiring diagram was easy to understand and at a good price for some reason though the prices were cheaper on eBay that on the actual website

Back