Table saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to get my first table saw. I've ruled out new saws as they are either too expensive or compromise on quality. There is a single phase startrite 275 in my local area. It looks to be complete but it missing the crown guard. What sort of price do you think would be fair for such a saw?

A new crown guard can be purchased from

http://www.machinespares.net

A decent machine can go for up to £2000! If it has the sliding table and accessories. A basic scrappy looking but functional machine can go for a few hundred.

Its doesnt have a sliding table or any fancy accessories. Just the normal cast wings. It looks fairly clean and in good working order.

Would £600 be considered expensive?

I thought it might be a 275 model as it has a 12 inch blade but after looking at the pictures more carefully but not entirely sure

pic of saw from the internet

Could do with some advice before I do something stupid!

That's surely a 275
I got mine for 500 euros.
I see them all the time and about 500 euros is about as low as they go here.
Mine is the 275 DS menaing sliding table
If I remember correctly they can go for cheaper over there.
I would say it might be a steep price.
Have you looked at three phase ones, as these machines have dual voltage motors.?
No sliding table or fence extension shown...
If you were to look for bargaining chips ask/see if the rack and pinion is working correctly.
If there is extension bars for a longer table on the other end, check the rack and pinion fence gear was not
run on to these extension bars, as there is no teeth on them and it will ruin the gear teeth on the fence.
My motor had a seriously worn keyway because the pulley was not drilled on center.
I should have got it for a hundred quid cheaper....this would be evident be looking at the machine working.
Check for wobble on startup ..my saw does this and I'm not sure if it should.
Should be smooth sounding.
I suppose you could look for cabinet damage ...these could get really battered as there only sheet steel.
You could look at any damage to the table insert for more bargaining
Good luck

it maybe a bit uppish, especially with a missing crown guard.

If it works nicely and is in good order mechanically even if its a bit scruffy paint wise, it is still worth considering if it is local to you.

Old machinery can look a bit tired but on close inspection can be in perfect working order and hardly worn at all, in which case they can be cleaned and fettled and will work like a brand new saw.

Bear in mind, tables saws are common and come up all the time for sale, but it depends whether you dont mind driving to collect a fair distance or not.

Interesting point about the 3 phase machines. If it's dual voltage that would mean it would still be 3 phase right but at 240v. How would you power these with a single phase supply?

There is also a 3 phase wadkin 10ags in my area. It looks a little beat up and the apparently it has stopped working recently. Assuming the problem is due to a broken motor, how easy is it to replace the motor with a single phase and get it back up working? I had a quick search and it's doesn't seem as easy as replacing the motor as hints like the pulley and possible switch have to be changed. The wadkins look a little more old school so are the sides of saw a little more rubistly build than a startrite (which is sheet metal)?

I have a huanyang 2.2kw VFD on my machine, and I'm using a 13a plug to run it.
I think it cost me 105 pounds .
You do have to make a dust proof ish housing for your VFD if you get one.
The switches are very very cheap and very simple...about 2 or 3 quid for a start and a stop.
I made a switch housing for them and made a paddle for hands free stop.
I can take more piccys if you wish to show you.
You can adjust the ramp up time with a VFD for a soft start ...

The Wadkin's have fixed star wound 400v motors and you would need to talk to Bob Minchin 9fingers about that.
It's not so simple at all.

If a Wadkin motor mount is similar to a Startrite, I don't think it would be difficult to swap a motor out.
As long as the motor had the same shaft size.
It is a big plate on the Startrite machine with multiple holes for mounting.
Happy to answer any Startrite questions atall...
Currently making a overarm guard for mine as it's much more sensible to use this rather than the riving knife mounted ones.
Tom

Swapping out a the motor on a Wadkin AGS 10 is not very hard. You might need to drill some new mounting holes but that's about it. They used standard shaft sizes so your existing pulley would probably be retained.

Latest posts

Back