Table or Mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexupnorth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again!

I've been using a cheapie mitre saw for a while, and once again it's nearing the end of it's useful life. Bearing in mind I mostly do DIY renovation type building work, but am looking towards doing more general joinery (I'm also customising an old Mk2 Zephyr so the ability to cut steel is going to come in very handy). Two questions for the panel then :D

Chop saw or table saw?

What do people think to the "Rage" range of saws? I noticed in B&Q there is now a table saw version that looks quite tasty?

Thanks in advance,

Ade.

I reckon it's another of those to good to be true tools.
I think the Evolution saws are built down to a price rather than up to a quality.
I would be very wary of cutting steel with a table saw, I have seen the videos of kickback on MDF, with sheet steel it could exciting to watch.
Customising an old Zephyr, that sounds interesting. if you are into metal bothering and car modifying here is a great forum for that nonsense http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php
Note to Mod's is it ok to promote another forum here, the one in my link is all about welding and connected activities.

Chunko'.

Thanks guys,

I'm beginning to wonder if I might be better off with a track saw as they seem to be more versatile. I do like the simplicity and the fact that the mitre saw is ready to go all the time though. A new table saw is gonna be spotted by the budget holder whereas a track for an existing saw could be negotiated for more easily :D

An alternative to a commercial "track" for your hand held circular saw is to make your own. Google for "sawboard" and you should get what you need. You can make one that will guide the saw on one side and a router on the other, to "joint" the cut edge. These are good for sheet material, like plywood and MDF though more fiddly for smaller stuff.

Back