Table - not MDF!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I know - it might seem like a rarity but here's a pice of furniture that I have just made and its not MDF!

Its made from solid oak with a walnut stretcher.

The top was one solid piece that had been in the house when we bought it five years ago as a fixed shelf. However, when I took it out (also about 5 years ago) it cupped really badly so the only way to maintain any thickness was to rip it into thirds, plane it up and then reglue. I don't think the joins are too obvious.

The top ends are tapered at 15 deg and the legs are tapered at 5 deg on the outside face and vertical on the inside.

I made it in such a robust way for two reasons: one I really like the chunkiness of it and two, it will act as a bench as well as a coffee/ occasional table.

All joints are blind M&T so as not to compromise the aesthetics of the 'through' faces.

It is finished with 5 coats of Chestnut's Finishing oil and two coats of beeswax. The top was rubbed down to 1200 with wet and dry, partly to fill some of the grain but also to provide a contrast between the fact that the grain looks deep and the knot is so cracked and rough looking but actually when you run your hand over it, it feels like glass.

The legs and walnut were finished to 320 to keep a little more texture.

Its also the first piece I've made that I've named. May be pretentious but what the hell. So i called it the Forget-me-not table. For two reasons: firstly, the knot reminds me of an elephant's eye and the long, longitudinal crack looks like the 'must' that runs down their faces (and obviously elephants don't forget)and secondly, it was a Valentine's Day present to my wife. I honestly didn't think about the not/ knot pun until she asked me if it was intentional.

Anyway, some pics below taken in the Spring sun this morning. PLease let me know what you think, all criticism (good and bad) is welcome as long as its constructive.

Cheers

Tim
DSCF0001a.jpg

DSCF0002a.jpg

DSCF0001na.jpg

DSCF0002na.jpg

DSCF0007a.jpg

DSCF0012b.jpg

Lovely piece. I like furniture like that!

Adam

Hi Tim

It looks wonderful, full of character.

Hope I'm not being too picky, but it could be quite dangerous at toddler height. A quick roundover would do it the world of good.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":jpp6oo93 said:
A quick roundover would do it the world of good.
Cheers Neil

I do hope youare joking :shock: And spoil those nice lines.

Shocking :wink: :wink: 8)

Adam

Well, thank you all for your very kind comments.

Just one thing - I have to ask Neil to please tell me he was joking about the rounding over!! :shock: :eek: :wink:

Being serious for a sec though - does anyone think that all furniture should be child friendly? :

It was designed for a house with two adults and no kids - if it was for a household with small children then I would have probably approached the task entirely differently, not just knocked the corners off. That said, there aren't many households with small children (that I know of) that can afford handmade furniture - seems that all their money goes on stuff made of purple and green plastic that costs more than the bench would

Plus - what are reins for! :lol:

Cheers

Tim

Tim

I love it. The top is absolutely beautiful and personally I hate to see rounded edges/corners on furniture.
The concept of being more child friendly is slightly odd to me as I have 16 nieces and nephews + 2 kids of my own and none have been hurt by non-rounded edges on furniture!

I really don't see a problem with your piece

tim i like it ,plain and simple ,with the knot its a talking piece not fussy or over worked .

Lovely job, Tim :D - you're inspiring me to get on with a table myself

Neil

Latest posts

Back