Table mounting triton routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm now the proud owner of a triton router :D it's time to put it in the table where it will spend the rest of its life.

The old one was mounted in an axminster routalift and I have to say that it is a brilliant bit a kit. A quick look at it tells me that it probably would not be a good idea to try and mount the triton in it for a number of reasons (1 very good condition routalift for sale!!).

So, - I'm know going to have to persuade SWMBO to let me spend more money on a decent mounting plate. Its a home made table but rather nice (even if I do say so myself) so the objective is not to hack it around too much.

I was wondering if this one http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... V4IU1IBFA1 would do the trick?

Alternatively, I know triton do some mounting plates for their workstation 'thingy'. Could one of these be adapted?

Any (cheap!!) suggestions welcome

Hi Stuart
I have mounted the Triton in my "Norm Style" table.
I used the Triton Adapter plate as used on their workstation. This allows the use of the attachment lugs on the Triton. It cost about £15.
I routed out the underside of the table top (mdf) to rebate the adapter plate.

Note this is described as the adapter plate, not the router plate, by Triton.

(I bought mine from thge Woodworking centre. www.woodworkingcentre.com If you do order it from them, you can reduce the postage cost by asking them to removing the fixings etc, these weigh a lot and you dont need them.)

I cut the centre hole on the table a little larger than that in the router plate so that this acted as a support for the adapter rings. I cut these from mdf to suit the various cutters.

I can take a couple of pics if my description is not clear.

Hope this helps.

John

No Stuart, that one uses a series of clamps to hold the router. It will work OK but its not as convenient as the adapter plate that has two keyhole shaped holes that the spring loaded lugs on the router locate in.

If you don't intend to remove the router from the table very often, the plate should work fine.

I have been looking for the documentation that came with the adapter plate but seem to have misfiled it somewhere. :shock:

John

Hi Stuart,
I too have just acquired the Triton and intend to do exactly the same as you.
I did in fact order the same plate from axminster and it arrived a few days ago. I haven't fitted it yet but will start in a day or so.
The plate seems pretty rigid and I think/hope that it will support the triton without flexing when inserted into the large aperture I will be cutting in the table. Its actually labelled as a Rousseau so it should be OK
A couple of observations:
You will need longer baseplate screws for the triton to attach it to the table insert which is about 10MM thick. The standard screws with the triton are only 10mm long so 20-25mm screws will need to be sourced and i'm finding this difficult so far. B&Q for example don't have them. :shock:
Also, if like me you want to be able to lift the plate and router out of the table as one unit, the aperture required to accept the axminster plate will only permit this if you detach the handle on the router.ie, the one that is used only as a grip. It does come off very easily, one outer and two inner screws hold it in place.
The axminster plate is 10mm thick but for the edges where its 6mm thick by 12mm wide where it sits in the table cut out. Its also supplied with four corner "snuggers" to ensure a tight fit in your router table. There is no height /levelling available other than home made shims should you cut the support ledge too deep. There is also a lead in pin supplied.
When marking out, make sure that you have the router facing the way you will want it when in your table as once done, you cant change the router position as the holes in the baseplate only fit the router in one position.
Finally, you will find that the rings etched into the underside of the axminster plate to assist in centering the router prior to marking and drilling the holes, are not quite accurate enough so another method for centering the router and insert plate will need to be used.
Hope this helps and if I get the plate and router fitted this weekend I will post the results. All depends on whether I find the correct screws and of course the temperature in the workshop.
A bit long winded but I hope it helps.
beejay
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Brilliant timing, beejay as I also have the same combination and so it's great to have someone trailblaze! Any pictures, advice etc will be read most diligently :D

Thanks again John. Not sure if I'm being thick but can't see adaptor plate on that site. Overhead Routing plate is there but not adaptor, - am I missing something simple (that would be a surprise!!)?

Have to say haven't really thought about removal as previous router had been a permanent fixture and you sort of get used to it that way. It would be nice to be able to take it out now and again for freehand work so if I can source an adaptor plate it might prove worthwhile.

Beejay, - I shall await your results with interest as this still might be what I end up doing. Worth noting the need for longer screws as I had noticed this when looking at the routalift/triton combination.

Here's my Triton, hanging beneath the rousseau plate - it does NOT sag.

triton25.jpg

What I did was to remove the baseplate and use that as a template to mark out the four holes - double-sided tape or even masking/gaffer tape will hold it to the plate, then you can drill through the relevant holes. Beware - there are five holes in the baseplate - it's unlikely that you'll make a mistake, but not impossible if you're in a rush.

The screws are quite difficult to source, but - as luck would have it - I had some in stock (in a plastic bag, obviously for something or other I didn't need earlier!). :)

If you're going to leave it in the table, remove the plunge spring and leave the cap off - that way, any dust passes straight through without becoming caught by the inverted spring cap.

Ray.

Stuart,

The adapter plate is part of the Router Plate upgrade kit, part number RTA423. Its shown under the Triton Spares list on the sharpend website.

A word of warning when removing the plunge spring .. make sure the Router is NOT locked in the plunge position when you release it - it leaps out like a demented jack in the box otherwise :shock: :oops:

John

i've almost completed The installation of the Triton router/Rousseau insert plate into the router table,,,well almost, as i've still to attach the router to the plate but this will be done in a day or so.
I decided to try for the exact depth of cut rather than cut deep and shim the plate to the required level and after a few tests on some scrap, it worked to perfection. I left the router sitting on the inserted plate for 24hours and there was no sign of any sag so hopefully after extended use, undermounted, it will remain true. Time will tell.
As I still haven't figured out how to post images on here.. :oops: i've posted some piccies on the link below which shows how I went about the installation to date,,only a couple of slight mistakes :)
So far i'm delighted with the results and its been a very useful exercise as I will be constructing a new table in the new year,,Laminated,, now that Tombo has informed me of local source of laminate sheet.
regards,
beejay
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Heres a trial picture to see if its works...

518321817igTJZb_ph.jpg

Adam

Edit: I wonder if the webstie you use for your photos won't allow direct linking.

Back