Table Drill Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John on the Wirral

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old Machine Mart drill press which is belt driven. However,I am on maximum tension but the belt is slipping. I could go to motor factor and purchase a fan belt but before doing that should I use solvent to take the shine off the belt to get the grip back?

Is it actually the belt that is slipping? I had the same problem with my Mickey mouse drill press, and kept tightening it up until things started to deform, but still it slipped. Turned out it was a grub screw on one of the pulleys needed tightening. I'm sure you're not the numpty that I am, but just in case...

I jammed something into the microswitch so I could see what was happening with the belt cover off - probably not recommended in the manual.

I have an old Machine Mart drill press which is belt driven. However,I am on maximum tension but the belt is slipping. I could go to motor factor and purchase a fan belt but before doing that should I use solvent to take the shine off the belt to get the grip back?
Sounds like the belt is simply worn, hardened and doesn't seat properly any more. I suggest that cleaning the existing one is simply treating the symptom - I would get a new belt.

I jammed something into the microswitch so I could see what was happening with the belt cover off - probably not recommended in the manual.
Many of the older drills like Ajax and such don't have any microswitch and rely on the inteligence of the person not to try and change belt position with the drill running! It must be boom time for the micro switch manufacturers with our current level of H&S.

Im away so cannot go and check, but Im fairly sure that the V belt on my Clark pillar drill is quite a narrow section compared to a car fan belt?
I think it would certainly be worth checking any grub screws and cleaning both the belt and pulleys with meths wouldn't hurt.
Steve.

Back