T5 Technical Shooting Record. New Handle/Questions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you have cut your "thread" on a dowel you can put a ruler beside it and count the number of turns per inch, or test it against your thread gauge as Andy has suggested.
20200211_210534C.jpg

Last edited:
I have a stanley 5, and a 4 1/2, in unmarked but neglected condition. I will never use them and there appears to be no interest on island, but the weight makes me wonder whether taking them back to the UK is worth the effort in the suitcases. Any ideas on selling value?

I have a stanley 5, and a 4 1/2, in unmarked but neglected condition. I will never use them and there appears to be no interest on island, but the weight makes me wonder whether taking them back to the UK is worth the effort in the suitcases. Any ideas on selling value?
Between £5 and £50 for user grade planes, more if they are historically special at all. It really depends on condition, how good you are at selling, where you sell, and a bit of luck.

You should start a thread with pictures.

Sounds like it wont be worth the suitcase space. I might try again on local for sale sites, but with such low values, I might just leave them where they are and let my heirs have the problem. :cool:

I opened the link to that plane on eBay and came across this one, I don’t think it’s brand-new!
The blurb said Stanley number for 1931 to 1939, not a Bailey casting.
AB34F9F7-AE67-43AF-93FA-93450F8DBBA2.png

I opened the link to that plane on eBay and came across this one, I don’t think it’s brand-new!
The blurb said Stanley number for 1931 to 1939, not a Bailey casting. View attachment 92716
I'll see your iron and raise you mine.
20200918_170517(1).jpg

I reckon you win!
I follow a chap called Stavros Gakos, an excellent planemaker, on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/esortodox1He does fantastic stuff. Anyway. In a stroke of artfull brilliance he was repurposing old irons like this by cutting them in half on the length and repurposing them for moulding planes. All good steel so won't get thrown. I happen to have a couple of Ray Isles irons I got fairly cheap on UKW sale section some time ago... (It's not just thrown together he kids himself). 😬
Unused and will fit in just fine.

Things were tight in the old days, you really didn’t buy a new blade until you absolutely had to. It would be interesting to know how many miles of wood those plain irons had shaved.

I don't think I've ever come across someone who could say that they personally had worn a plane iron to the last bit of usable metal from new.

I have done a little work (emphasis on little) to the plane.
I would normally leave the appearence alone unless it was detrimental to use sorta thing but if you look at the ebay pics, you can see the black finish is a bit half ar*sed at best.
It was all peeling away and irritating me.
s-l1600.jpg

Fine. I resigned myself to a clean up.
Found an old tin of Nitromors. Not old enough to be good but actually good enough to strip back to a decent paint finish.
So it went from black, pink, red, white and green....
To....
20200919_152055(1).jpg

Just the Record blue, two shades of green and whatever that reddish colour is.
I tried to get the blue through but the nitromors had given up the ghost.
I don't want to look at that nonsense. So I decided to paint it.
I still have the craftmaster paints from my drill so it was a couple of coats of primer, high build undercoat ...
20200919_180315(1).jpg

And then 2 coats of Goosewing Grey.

20200922_133821.jpg

I stripped and reshaped the beech tote and knob. The spare side knob come off an old set. It was a little long for the side handle so I took a little off the height.

Alf, (a former poster of knowledge) had recommended dark oak and mahogany dyes as a fair substitute for rosewoodish colour and fair play, it looks fine and I had some in stock. BLO to the handles. Although I admit I sneaked a bit of gunstock oil on them to make them more shiny in the hand without going mad.
And that's about it.

Many thanks to John15 for posting a spare tote nut!

This was never supposed to be a restoration. Just a tidy up to get a good working plane that didn't give me a migraine when I looked at it with a new side handle to boot.
I'll post a photo or two when it's all done.
Time spent: Approx 1.5 hours. That's a fair exchange.
Cheers
Chris

Looking good! I wouldn't be surprised it was an ex-school plane, many of them were and it would explain all the extra paint from technicians with too much time on their hands 😂

I'll see your iron and raise you mine.
View attachment 92812

I reckon you win!
I follow a chap called Stavros Gakos, an excellent planemaker, on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/esortodox1He does fantastic stuff. Anyway. In a stroke of artfull brilliance he was repurposing old irons like this by cutting them in half on the length and repurposing them for moulding planes. All good steel so won't get thrown. I happen to have a couple of Ray Isles irons I got fairly cheap on UKW sale section some time ago... (It's not just thrown together he kids himself). 😬
Unused and will fit in just fine.

Bill Carter keeps a supply of old irons that he snaps in two to make irons for his mitre planes.

Nigel.

Looking good! I wouldn't be surprised it was an ex-school plane, many of them were and it would explain all the extra paint from technicians with too much time on their hands 😂
Yes mate. Or stolen at some point... There were 3 distinct colour patterns. Painted over a few times. Who knows.
Cant be many Goosewing grey T5 planes out there mind lol.

Just for the sake of completion. Bit easier on the eye, no rust, fettled and initial test cuts looking good. A user. Woop. Need to make a shooting board at the weekend now.

20200924_170315.jpg
20200924_170249.jpg
20200924_170214.jpg

Back