T5 Technical Shooting Record. New Handle/Questions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Soooo.... I was perusing ebay the other day which is something I really don't do anymore and saw a t5 plane that needs a bit of love. See where this is going yet?
I remembered reading about one on here and it piqued my interest although I probably/definitely don't need a dedicated shooting plane. Really.
But then I bookmarked it out of interest. Just for fun mind. No bids for a week. Started getting twitchy... I don't know why. Bargain Alarm. Checked mad prices for sold items. Can always flog it on... (Right ;) )
Front brain was sure we were just looking in out of interest.
Back brain on the other hand was drawing up plans to invade Poland it seems....
It can't be falling under the radar altogether?!? Got the ebay greed. Then I didn't. Then I did.
Pah! As front and back brain wrestled for control, I had a quick look this morning. Agghh . Bids. 9.
That's that then.
Nevermind.
But then back brain (crafty bast**d) set the alarm clock on the phone. Out for a walk with the family and BRRRRRIIINNNGGG!
50 notes. Ahhhhhh. That's right at the top of my budget. Put a bid of £55 and won it for 53. Sixty notes with postage.
Oooo K.
I have a couple of spare planes I need to sell to cover the cost of having a dedicated shooting plane. (I know, I know. Leave it).
The iron is a little short but I look on that as a good ebay sign. It shows the plane is/has been a user. Everything else looks sound from the photos at least.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-VINTAG...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
So after that rollercoaster. It's obviously missing the handle.
QUESTION 1:
Would anyone know the thread size I need to get to replace the rod? I can but replacement handles but they are pricey.
QUESTION 2:
I don't turn. So if I can get the threaded rod without drilling and retapping a metric thread... I actually have two questions here...

a)I have a spare tote, that would actually seem to be a better shape than the original round bar... Ideas?

b)if that turns out to be madness would anyone want a (paid) job turning a new handle? (I can supply beech etc, pay post etc etc)

Oh! BTW. The iron might need a sharpen. Says so in the advert! *looks at Phil P.* :-
Best regards as always.

Chris

Don't quote me Christopher, but I think the thread is 1/4" x 20tpi BSW which Record used quite commonly throughout all their planes, they must've had the 1/4" BSW tap and die factory next door. I'd wager your regular rear tote screw is probably identical to the one used in the T5 side handle.

I used to collect Record planes and although I never had a T5 I know they had a little bit of a reputation for being a bit of a pig to use, I think the best method was to actually have your four fingers on top of the lever cap and blade and your thumb wrapped around the pokey-up handle rather than using the handle by grasping the whole thing. The thing is with putting a tote on is you'd need an angled threaded hole in the casting to use the existing hole in the tote.

I can help you with the metal bits if you get stuck and can't find anything to suit, I've got a few 1/4" BSW taps and dies, probably from the same factory ;)

It I remember correctly the thread is good old fashioned 1/4 Whitworth.
So, if you have a spare 1/4 Whit bolt, try it for size. In any case Trevanion's probably right.
If you need a handle turned I can do it for the cost of the postage, provided that it's not a yesterday job.
Please check the bolt compatibility first.
I seem to remember also, seeing a cross-sectional drawing somewhere of a T5 side handle, though I cannot remember where - I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were not on this forum.
Anyway..... first things first, over to you.

Cheers mate. I was thinking I'd redrill the tote rather than the plane. Thanks on the thread sizes.

Okay. Cross posted. Thanks too Argus!
I think the sensible thing to do here is wait till it turns up and explore options.
Much appreciate teh help so far gents. Brilliant stuff as always!

There was a similar query on this site back in the days of 'Alf'.

This one had the basic dimensions of the Record side handle, provided by one 'Bugbear'.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/record-t5-side-handle.40277/A new one could be any shape and length, within reason, depending of course on the length of the bolt and the size of your mitts.
Good luck.

I will happily turn you the wooden part Chris, if you can identify the thread/metal bit so I can either buy a bolt, or drill the hole for you to epoxy it in yourself.

You guys are amazing as always. I'm up at 3.30 am (deep joy ) so I really need to go to bed but I will be checking out all the replies tomorrow after work.
Thank you so much. You never let me down. *fistbump* It really is much appreciated.
All the best for tonight.
Chris

I can make a steel rod with a threaded end to suit the plane. It can then be glued into a wooden handle. I have made side handles for hand drills this way. There seems to be some uncertainty about whether the thread is 1/4" x 20 TPI or 7/32" x 20 TPI - this can be checked when the plane arrives. Either way I can provide you with a rod with a suitably threaded end.

Last edited:
How can I check RXH? I have an imperial tpi gauge but I've always presumed its for external thread. How would I go about measuring an internal thread? Sorry if it's a daft question but I cant picture it.
I have some spare stanley threaded rod somewhere from an old plane. The seller got in touch to say he can't post till Monday so it will be a while before updating.
I've also remembered that I have a beautifully turned front knob that Lancs Rick made me that I never got round to fitting to another plane for 'reasons'. So actually I might already be sorted for a solution!
aquamaniac.png

Love it when a plan comes together!

How can I check RXH? I have an imperial tpi gauge but I've always presumed its for external thread. How would I go about measuring an internal thread? Sorry if it's a daft question but I cant picture it.

The standard answer is to use a bit of softish dowel and run it into the hole enough to compress the fibres and make something of a thread on it. Then take it out again and use the gauge as for an external thread. You don't need a full form, just some dirty marks will do. You could use an old pencil if you don't have any dowel - maybe from Ikea or Screwfix, if times are hard? ;)

Brilliant. Exqusitely obvious now you say it! Thanks MrT.

Just to annoy you!
you could have used a bog standard number 5. and made a Racers shooting attachment gizmo that is more comfortable and easier to use than a side handle (i suspect).

Just to annoy you!
you could have used a bog standard number 5. and made a Racers shooting attachment gizmo that is more comfortable and easier to use than a side handle (i suspect).
Funny enough I have a nice Record 5 for sale Lurker. Want to buy it? :D You could make a cracking shooting plane from it. Just an idea mind.
I knew I shouldn't buy it before I bought it but then I bought it anyway to spite myself for trying not to buy it.
That'll bloody show me I thought. Telling me what to do!
The cheek of it. I've never been so offended.

The method described by AndyT is a good one. You can get some additional information by using the shanks of twist drills as Go/No-Go gauges. finding out which ones can be inserted into the threaded hole.
For a 1/4" x 20 TPI thread: 5.0 mm & 13/64" will be "Go"; 5.5 mm & 7/32" will be "No-Go".
For a 7/32" x 20 TPI thread, 4.5 mm & 11/64" will be "Go; 5.0 mm & 3/16" will be "No-Go".

Back