T Track ..... ARGH!!!! Now with added MITRE SLOTtyness! Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a reply from Mouldshop, as mentioned above. They are willing to deal with private individuals and with small orders. A 2m length of channel costs around £7 plus VAT, but with a postage charge of £13. So if there are several interested guys living close to each other who could share an order then this could be a real plus. Unfortunately I don't think there are many woodworkers living near me ( Llandeilo, Llandovery area) but if there is anyone nearby then please get in touch.
K

I think you will find there are quite a few local to you K. Brechfa myself and I'm aware of a few more around.
I'd be interested in some lengths - looking for a CNC Router bed solution and this may work for me. Will need to double check dimensions but this may be of interest. Will keep an eye on this.

jontyash":21ln9qyy said:
Hi Brandlin,

How did you get on with the track from Mouldshop? Did it work out in the end as I'm looking to get some myself?

Can you let me know?

Thanks!

Hi, Sorry to reply so late... have been ... ill.

Yes that t track I bought has been ideal. no problems what so ever - though it has had a lot less use in the last 2 years than I hoped.... just getting back into the workshop now.

Hi T track pice of Aluminium
Price is rocket high, so I used the following item instead
Wall starter pack from Toolstation. Stainless steel £9.99

Hi,

Sorry to go off on a slight tangent but still related to T tracks. (I know this is an old thread but....)
Whatever T track you purchase make sure you can easily but the various fittings you require to go with it.
Reluctantly (due to the price) I purchased 7x 600mm lengths of UJK T track from Axminster tools.
I used some vouchers that I had for Christmas, which took the sting out of the price but still.......

I fitted these as planned to my aluminium bed of my home built CNC machine. I need T nuts with a M6 thread.
I have now discovered that I cannot find any T track nuts that fit this track. I assumed that these would almost be standard and easy to find. I even assumed Axminster tools would sell them, but they don't.

So I am now stuck and may end up having to machine my own custom nuts for this.
It really does not make sense why T tracks so expensive and I cannot find suitable T nuts to fit.

Please make sure you can buy the fittings you need to go with whatever T track you purchase.

Attached is a end profile for showing the sizes of the UJK T track.

I really cannot believe how much time I have spent searching for simple M6 T nuts that fit.

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• T Track.JPG
    T Track.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Axminster sell the T bolts and other fixings(Clamps etc) that fit the UJK T track, which I use for many other projects / jigs etc and have a large selection of the UJK tracks and fixings. But the T bolts are not suitable for my application. I wrongly assumed that I could easily buy T nuts that fit. So, need to find another square nut or something that will work. A normal M6 nut or a M6 square nut does not fit.

You could try to make your own nut plates instead of trying to find something that will fit. I did this for some channel for a previous project using M5 hardware. The plates were easy to make using steel brackets that were cut to fit in the channel and then drilled and tapped for the M5 screws.

You could try to make your own nut plates instead of trying to find something that will fit. I did this for some channel for a previous project using M5 hardware. The plates were easy to make using steel brackets that were cut to fit in the channel and then drilled and tapped for the M5 screws.
Hi Mike,
Yeah, that's my thinking now. I have use of good metal workshop at work so it would not be hard to make exactly what I need. Just didn't want the hassle and thought these would be off the shelf sort of think. I only need 16 so not a massive job. Its just added aggravation that I could do without :)

Thanks

A lot of issues with T track and such stem from the fact that any imported track from the states is imperial and you need 1/4 nuts and not 6mm plus there are just no standards. Getting fittings can be hard work and finding suitable track nuts is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

For the fence why use T rack, slots can be easier and something like AUKTools Router Fence Slot Washers Pair

then just give @Peter Sefton a ring and he will more than likely be able to supply the fittings and will know what goes with what, always a good source of information.

A lot of issues with T track and such stem from the fact that any imported track from the states is imperial and you need 1/4 nuts and not 6mm plus there are just no standards. Getting fittings can be hard work and finding suitable track nuts is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

For the fence why use T rack, slots can be easier and something like AUKTools Router Fence Slot Washers Pair

then just give @Peter Sefton a ring and he will more than likely be able to supply the fittings and will know what goes with what, always a good source of information.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I fitted the T tracks to my cnc bed and for normal work the UJK clamps are fine.
However, what I need to clamp down for certain jobs does not allow for either a clamp above the work or has a larger enough recess hole to drop and tighten a nut into to allow me to use the UJK T bolts. Only T nuts will work. A M6 standard square nut fits buts only leaves a very small amount of nut that is under the t track edge which will easily distort when done up.

See attached my T track fitted....

Attachments

• Tracks.JPG
    Tracks.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 0
I suppose the ultimate solution would be an iron bed with the required slots machined into it designed for std machine shop hold downs. Another option you might want to look at is what I use a lot of and that is the matchfit system from microjig, this allows you to run dovetail slots through an MDF worktop which would give a flexable holdown system. If you damage or wearout the top then it is not hard to just make another. Take a look and see what you think, I also incorporate 20mm dog holes in my tops but that is probably something you don't need.

@Thedog Jim who works in the shop has a good grip 'excuse the pun' of the tracks and fixing available that we sell. Feel free to email if you need any advice. [email protected]

Most of the track is imperial as so many fittings fit, going metric may restrict the availability of extras. Track is expensive-party due to packing and shipping costs as many delivery companies charge extra for "over length", we have been caught out in the past packing in tubes as they roll off conveyer belts and again attract surcharges.

Cheers

Peter

Hi,
Thank you for your replies.
That Berger site is a good find, they have many widgets that would be really hand to find. I will have a better look later but couldn't see anything obvious that may fit the tracks I have. With regard to the tracks you sell Peter, they would have been a better option because it would seem the slot size etc is more common, with T nuts and the like available and easy to find by the looks of it. Too late now, already spent a fortune on 7 UJK tracks. Saying that though, over the years I have purchased many other UJK clamps and fittings etc, so I know they will all work together.

I will keep searching for 'proper' T nuts that will fit the UJK tracks but in the mean time I found some over sized M6 square nuts that I managed to file down to fit. Not ideal but at least it gets me out of trouble and I can complete the jobs I have lined up.

Thanks

Paul

Back