T square not square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 230mm Marples T square but it's not square. It's around 0.7mm out in it's length. What sort of tolerances are there on squares.

I have emailed the supplier and just waiting for a reply.

Andy

Andy, at one time I had 5 squares, not T squares, but 3 of them were not square. I just threw them in the trash. When I buy a square now I take a square that I know is good with me and check the one I want to buy, have found a lot of bad ones.

Bob

Andy,
I stopped using woodworking squares some years ago.
I use engineers squares now. The inside and outside faces are machined/milled to very fine tolerances. You can even buy them accuracy certified.
I have 3 Moore & Wright ones even a 12" (a bit heavy) :D
excellent accuracy.

I am with Felderman here,
Woodworking squares are notorious for being out and i only ever use engineers squares.....even when i use an adjustable square i usually check it before i use it.
I once bought a 600mm T square and first time i used it was to cut a worktop...I scribed the line cut the top and low and behold it was 3mm out over 600mm.....put away never to be trusted again

Ian

Looks like i'll have to take this as a lesson, and buy the engineering squares next time. Funny thing, it that the 600mm roofing square i also use is actually square and i would have expected that to me a few mill out :?

Still no reply for the suppliers so i think i may have to write this one off

Andy

With Felderman all the way

check that they have a BS stamp on them too as this guarantees accuracy

the problem being, is that if it ordered of the tintanet then it must be the suppliers duty to check these things.

I know it was only £14 but it shouldn;' be the point. Still no news back from the supplier :evil:

Andy

Don't forget that however good your square is, it wont stay that way if abused or dropped, what you need is something like This that can be adjusted.

I am sorry for posting this link as looking around their site may get some of the members overexcited :wink:

Jason

LyNx

By T-square I assume you mean a draftsman's T-square? In that case, I would have thought that 0.7mm was acceptable, because the square doesn't do anything except provide a base line for horizontals and a reference for the (very much more accurate) set squares.

Of course I agree that it would be nice if all squares were just that, but horses for courses, I'm not at all surprised by the error you have found. I don't mean to be harsh when I say it's not the right tool for the job.

Having said that, I may have misunderstood you entirely (not for the first time today - just had to do some grovelling), in which case I wish I had kept my big mouth shut.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Andy,

I have a roofing square that was out when I bought it. What I did was to cut part way through at the angle, then whacked it into square using the 3,4,5, system,(the greater the numbers the better, eg 9,12,15). I still check it every time that I use it, but I have not had to adjust it for quite a while.

Hope this is of some use.

ATB Gary.

Oddly enough I purchased one of those roofing squares at a kind of bazaar type emporium(high class junk) for 99p and I check my other squares with it .
I check it with those engineer metal squares.

Latest posts

Back