t/s tilt and fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
the blade on my old t/s tilted to the left and the fence was on the right so i had no probs cutting a bevel edge . my new saw tilts to the right and the fence is on the right so when i tried to cut a bevel it was a bit hairy . has anyone sorted a way round this problem ???

tia frank

Move the fence to left of the blade.

Noel

How much table area do you have left of the blade? The oldest fence in the world - a bit of wood - clamped in place may get you out on a tempary basis. The adjustment of same is a right palaver... bump, nudge, frenzied swearing as you overshoot for the third time.

Frank, are you sure it won't move? I find it hard to believe anyone could engineer a tilting saw which can't safely be used for cutting bevels.

thanks neil :( but its a woodford 805 and only months old :cry: :cry: .i take it no one on this forum owns a saw like mine then :? the fence wont go passed the blade on the left hand side of the table ,its a great saw very quite ect .its just that i want to cut some lengths of wood with a bevel for some segmented bowls .

Can you glue, screw or cramp a wide board to the stock you are cutting to give a bit of room for your fingers between the fence and the blade?

Frank
I have the 806-I just lift the fence off and plop it down the other side of the blade. Are you sure yours won't do the same??
Philly :D

hi philly ,the rails for your fence extend to the left of the blade, mine end just passed the blade so no can do. jake when you cut a bevel you want the waste bit of wood to be under the tilted blade .if you try to cut the bevel with the work under the the tilted blade it will try and kick back ,hence it was a bit hairy .i will have to see what they do over the pond to get round this problem .in the short term i will just have to clamp a bit of wood for a fence.

Yeah, I know. But you seem in dire straits.

edit: the wooden clamped fence does seem much more sensible!

Someone really screwed up the drawings of this saw, surely?

Frank
Had a quick look on the Woodford site at your saw-darn.....
Is there anyway to unscrew the fence rails and mount then "one hole over"?? Kinda looks like it may be possible from the pic on the site.
Bit of a faff, I know, but it would be the solution.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

See what you mean Frank, bit of a PIA:
8050101.gif

Anyway you could get an extra lenght of rail and extend the main rail? Or do some kind of hooley with Woodford and upgrade to the next model up, which appears to have longer rails?

Noel

I'd go further and demand that they do something to fix it or upgrade you, as this is unfit for its purpose. There can't be many more clear requirements for a tilting saw than to able to position the fence on the opposite side to the tilt.

Frank,

This is probably a none starter but if you take the rails off will the mounting holes line up with then over to the left? :-s
If they would mount set over then you could do the job before putting back were they are now. Not a good solution but might save the need for clean underwear. :shock:

its sorted i made a sliding fence that bolts to the sliding table. look at noels piccy i also made a new blade guard out of thick perspex with dust extraction on the top . my next job is to make some woodrat jigs like alfs if i can find them (help) .

Frank,

Sounds like a good solution. :D

I have the same overhead guard as Noel and collecting the dust on top of the table makes quite a difference. 8)

Back