T joint doweling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topconker

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the best method of fitting a piece of timeber end on to the middle of another board using dowels?
been looking at jigs but cant see if they'd be any help.

Cheers,
TC

Hi,

You can drill nice holes square to the surface with a router, then make a L shaped jig to hold your timber square and your router on top, if you don't have a drill press.

Pete

Drill suitable holes in the end grain "T" board, and cut suitable nails, with there points sharpened, to length so that the points protrude, lay both boards on a flat surface and bring together as intended with the nail fitted board clamped. Now all you have to do is tap the free board onto the nails to give you matched centres for drilling and the dowels to fit into.
For lots of dowels rather than just a one off, you could invest in some of these
dowel markers.jpg
same principle just more cost.

You have to be able to drill straight, but not perfectly as the dowels can be a loose(ish) fit for glue to squeeze out...bosshogg :)

I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer)

Attachments

• dowel markers.jpg
    dowel markers.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 233
Thanks Guys, both these make good sense and as always the best ideas are the best.
I just could not see it.

Cheers,
TC

Those dowel markers usually do come in basic dowelling jig sets. I brought a £15 wolfcraft jig set a few years ago and they came supplied in the set.

Just had a thought, can I use any straight router bit to bore the hole if I use the router method? ( In other words just use it as a drill).

TC

topconker":3cepihmu said:
Just had a thought, can I use any straight router bit to bore the hole if I use the router method? ( In other words just use it as a drill).

As I understand it, if you're going straight in, you should use a spiral cutter. A straight-bladed one won't clear the cuttings out, and is really intended for cutting perpendicular to the shank. I wouldn't like to say it's universal, but I know my straight-bladed bits won't even cut a small circle directly under the end of the bit, in line with the shank.

topconker":25oppr6a said:
Thanks Jake,
Any idea where I can get one as I've checked e-bay with no luck.

What are you looking for? I see several searching for "spiral router bit"...

It's not quite my thing so I may be misinformed, but I believe an 'end mill' or 'endmill' cutter is another name for the same thing.

TC,

The end-mill is an engineering cutter used for metals. It will cut wood of course, and they re great for morticing. However they work best in hardwoods. Also, some of them have a thread on the end of the shank to fit various milling machines. That thread wouldn't do your router collet much good.

Wealden tools are reliable, and they have a wide range of cutters and bits for woodworking. They aren't cheap, and they aren't extortionate. Whatever you buy from them, will last you a long, long time with care. Whatever you do, don't try fitting a drill bit into a router. The tolerances are not close enough and it's dangerous.
HTH

PS.. If you go for a spiral-upcut, you will probably be offered a solid tungsten carbide bit. Ace, and they cut as clean as a whistle.
John

Back