t didin't look this much on paper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked this lot up this morning. Longest piece is just under 2.5m, the Berlingo is great for this sort of thing and one of the reasons why it will be replaced with another next year.

DSCN7555.jpg

If I have done ths maths right it's 0.38 cubic metres, or 13.38 cubic feet of air dried chestnut or Chataignier as it's known around here. Various thickneses from 20mm to 57mm. The sawmill was right in the middle of a small village on the edge of the Belleme Forest about 100 south of here. A beautiful drive in the early morning mist and fog through some very nice countryside.

All stored away for now until I can wangle a thicknesser/planer into the Xmas list. Although I hope to be able to cut some of it to size before then.

DSCN7561.jpg

Again if my calculations are correct there should be enough for either a picnic table, or a table and two benches, and a garden gate. If I get them both done before the spring I will be amazed as I still have 3 pairs of shutters to do.

Andy

I've had similar experiences, although not to do with maths...
I see great wood, i want it all, i usually buy way to much and now have wood squirreled away in every nook and cranny.
If i'd had that great place you have for storing wood, i would no doubt have it filled to the brim in no time sharp!

I'm the same. I have a large barn (or 3 ) and am filling up with wood. I'm going to look at some more for sale this afternoon - oak, chestnut and cherry. Apparantly it's high grade, air dried 5 years and he wants around €400/m3. Can't wait!!

Yeah, getting the heavier pieces up there was a bit of a struggle and I had to split a lot of scrap wood for the sticks.

There is an old truism that states that" stuff expands to fill the space made available for it". I only hope that it does not become "out of sight, out of mind"

Andy

Good haul there.

I've just started buying in bulk also, but unseasoned timber. I bought 40 cubic ft of oak a couple of weeks ago, then another 40 cuft of spalted beech last week. I'm now deciding how I want a large white Ash log cut up, then a cedar log for drawer sides and bottoms. Obviously I will have a minimum wait of about of about six months for the cedar(5/8"), probably longer as its knot cut yet.

It was in the chaps way and he just wanted rid of it so he can covert the guilding it was stored in. He still has about 2m3 of a mix of oak, chestnut and more cherry, but at the moment I can't justify spending more than I already have on wood I don't have a specific use for yet. The chap is on a golfing holiday this week but when he returns he said he'd give me a ring about the rest if noone else was interested. But the only way I can do it is to offer to make him something out of some of the wood in return for the rest.

Back