T-Bolts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hi guys, just wondered if anyone knows where in the UK i can get some t-bolts from?
i'm needing them for a sliding fence, but so far i haven't been able to find any.

thanks.

What are the slot dimensions Kenny?

Ike

If you mean bolts that will fit in a standard mitre slot, perhaps some North American terminology might help you in the UK. In Canada they're also called 'toilet bolts' and are available in plumbing departments. They attach a toilet to the floor flange, but are also a perfect fit for mitre slots.

Cheers, Garrett

Hi Travis

Travis Byrne":3u90l1eu said:

I made a quick check and saw that the T-bolts start at 4.29 and go up to 30.00 GBP each. :shock:

This is the description against the T-bolt, "Forged steel-Tempered To strength class 12.9 Rolled threads Chemical black finish."

I assume that they are for the aeronautical industry and not for poor woodworkers.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Kenny

Kenny":1yobkkwb said:
hi guys, just wondered if anyone knows where in the UK i can get some t-bolts from?

I've never been able to find any reasonably priced ones here.

I would recommend that you buy them from Rockler in the US and have them sent surface mail. It says that it takes about six weeks but it's normally with you inside two. If you're very unlucky you'll get caught for tax on the way in.

Before shipping they will send you an email giving you the carriage cost.

www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID ... =t%2Dbolts

They quite often have a sale on these items so if you keep looking you might get them even cheaper.

Cheers
Neil

Tee bolts are used to clamp stuff to milling tables etc with Tee slots. You can buy cheap clamping kits with the bolts and probably the bolts separately from Engineering suppliers.

Chronos have clamping kits - go to their online catalog and search for clamp http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/

Hi guys
It's not too difficult to make a good substitute oneself. Just find some flat bar that fits the slot, drill and tap an M6 (or whatever) hole and cut to length.
A length of studding and a knob complete the job. I have made several jigs, as well as my router fence, all using this technique.
1/8" flat bar will give you 3 full turns of thread, which is plenty. The only thing to be careful of is that your knob tightens on the top surface before the stud tightens on the bottom of the T-slot itself.

HTH
Steve

Travis Byrne wrote:
I made a quick check and found this:
http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/catalogue/index.html

I made a quick check and saw that the T-bolts start at 4.29 and go up to 30.00 GBP each.

This is the description against the T-bolt, "Forged steel-Tempered To strength class 12.9 Rolled threads Chemical black finish."

I must fess up I didn't look at the cost. :oops: :oops:
Travis

PS I look at this like the government does--As long as its other people money, cost is no object. :twisted:

Newbie_Neil":106nsmsp said:
But what a price!

True, Neil. I've only needed to buy one pair, so it wasn't enough for it to matter to me.

thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
i didn't realise it was such a task trying to source these things.

Kenny
Unless you need lots of them I find just filing (with a metal file) a normal hex bolt works a treat. It doesn't take long either - just file opposite sides until it fits.
Cheers
Gidon

Latest posts

Back