T bar clamp coupler?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to purchase some T bar clamp extensions but thinking how to avoid the inevitable spend......

Something I came across that got me thinking was cramp "couplers" whereby you can join 2 cramps together. See image.

Surely the same could be easily made for T bar clamps. Has anyone come across anything like this before?

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 12.58.05.png

I have thought about this a few times but I can’t see how it can be done unless the two heads are going to be quite out of alignment with each other. Yes you could join T bars end to end but unless you cut one to length you’re only going to have about 10 inches of adjustment on the threaded parts added together. Ian
Edit, yes I quite often join record flat bar cramps together which means that the heads aren’t exactly in line but it doesn’t seem to make a great deal of difference and works well.

All you need are a couple of bolts and spacers/stack of washers surely?

Ian is correct there will be a small offset - about 20mm in the overall length say 2m, 1%

Yes. They can be as simple as a piece of flat bar steel stock with 4 holes drilling through them and some short bolts and nuts, All you have to do then is drill some extra holes in the bars on your cramps. Keeps the heads in alignment

Bessey clamp extension work very well. It is designed from the start and it shows in slick operation rather than a clunky add on. I did a bar joining two Rutland squeeze 300mm clamps once but was not satisfactory so bought some Bessey 600mm to complete job (in a different style to add capability in other areas also). Extensions are a nice idea but need to be done well. My attempts were not good solutions (and I am a decent engineer). You pays your money.... but the Bessey is for just one type of long clamp.

Yes, but not as ouchy as buying a 1500mm Bessey K-Body Revo clamp when you have two 800mm clamps that can be joined.
At the end of the day it's a very expensive short aluminium extrusion. And £80 for a clamp? Hmm, think I'll stick with my Record sash cramps, ta.

Yes. They can be as simple as a piece of flat bar steel stock with 4 holes drilling through them and some short bolts and nuts, All you have to do then is drill some extra holes in the bars on your cramps. Keeps the heads in alignment
@JobandKnock can’t see how you keep the head alignment with that. We are talking T bars here aren’t we?

Yeah, I’ve bolted two record bar clamps together and when I needed longer used two strips of pine and the same bolts.

I have heard that back in “the good old days” workarounds for having less tools were more common and so there were plans for extenders for making panel clamps using g-clamps… I wasn’t around in them days, but the technique still works.

I paid a lot for Bessey clamps, totally worth it.

@JobandKnock can’t see how you keep the head alignment with that. We are talking T bars here aren’t we?
No. Sash cramps are the ones with flat bars so you can join them end to end. T-bar cramps are heavier and designed for heavy joinery work. Common misconception that T-bars are sash cramps, possibly brought about by retailers who know no better and often describe tools incorrectly

I have heard that back in “the good old days” workarounds for having less tools were more common and so there were plans for extenders for making panel clamps using g-clamps… I wasn’t around in them days, but the technique still works.
Yes, these days our workshop has a pneumatic clamping press and an RF glue curer (maybe £12k or so new?) - but they still have about 200 or so sash and T-bar clamps in various sizes and the maybe same number of G-clamps from "the good old days".

No. Sash cramps are the ones with flat bars so you can join them end to end. T-bar cramps are heavier and designed for heavy joinery work. Common misconception that T-bars are sash cramps, possibly brought about by retailers who know no better and often describe tools incorrectly

Yes, these days our workshop has a pneumatic clamping press and an RF glue curer (maybe £12k or so new?) - but they still have about 200 or so sash and T-bar clamps in various sizes and the maybe same number of G-clamps from "the good old days".
But the question was how to extend T bars

But the question was how to extend T bars
The photograph posted at the top of this thread clearly shows anm Irwin QR cramp, I have a couple of dozen of them, and they are NOT a T-bar cramp, and they can be connected with a single piece of flat steel bar with 4 holes in it.
Irwin Clamps.png
The only difference between clamping that and clamping a T-bar is that a T-bar needs TWO steel plates, one either side of the bar. Or you can go and for out a load of money for Irwin extensions, which are available - they are called an L136/6, are 48in long and will set you back about £45 a pop including VAT. If you need three of them that's £135 - or more likely 5 of them, £225. It doesn't matter how you do the maths, that's a lot of money unless you regularly need the extra capacity

... you could join T bars end to end but unless you cut one to length you’re only going to have about 10 inches of adjustment on the threaded parts added together.
Take the tail heads off, turn one of them round and put back on the bar and then connect the cramps. Problem solved

I can't see what the issue is, just bolt two together using two bolts and two bits of flat bar and use one screw and one sliding head.

But really when you consider your time, isn't it cheaper to buy the extensions ?

Neil - the L135 are the extension bars for flat sash cramps - for the T-bars the extensions are the bigger L136 style as noted above

Latest posts

Back