Sykes Timber Atherstone - anyone using/used before?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liam8223

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used Sykes timber before?

I am 10 mins from Whitmores, but they dont really like you selecting your own timber, and the quality
is just not consistent enough.

Looking in my local area, its really only Sykes that is near enough to me.

Do sykes allow self - selection?

Any tips/info greatly received.

Liam.

liam8223":nevx025h said:
Just wondering if anyone has used Sykes timber before?

I am 10 mins from Whitmores, but they dont really like you selecting your own timber, and the quality
is just not consistent enough.

Looking in my local area, its really only Sykes that is near enough to me.

Do sykes allow self - selection?

Any tips/info greatly received.

Liam.

I'm surprised. I always just made an appointment, gone up and spent a while selecting my timber.

I have also been to Sykes who will pre-select and arrange in a sort of viewing shed some timber for your selection.

Liam,

I use Sykes quite regularly.

You can go to the yard to collect your timber, but they don't normally let you select it.
If you speak to the right person you can safely leave it with them to select decent stuff. (They don't sell rubbish as a rule anyhow.)
They do like a substantial order, but you won't need to order a lorry load, and they will deal with the hobbyist as well as the professionals.
If you are unsure what species to buy, once they know what you want the timber for, they will make suggestions and offer what they think will suit you. You make the decision of course, but I have never had a disappointment from them. They don't stock a massive range of English Timber, but they do have some English Oak as far as I recall. They also stock Genuine Mahogany.

I live about 25 miles from them and they delivered free to my door. The stuff I have from them is always good, at mid to high market prices; dependent on species. I don't know your full requirements, but I recommend them 100%.
As for selection, you could always ask if you could be there when they pull your timber. Their policy might have changed.

If I recall correctly, ask for Ben, when you phone. he's never made a bad selection for me.

I have NO interests in the firm itself, they don't know me other than as a customer, but as said, I rarely go elsewhere; (Maybe Whitmores for my quarter-sawn oak... Soon!

I phoned Whitmores recently, and they told me as long as I make an appointment, I could go to the yard, and make my selection with one of their workforce. That was as good an arrangement as I need!

There is also Harry Adkins near Corby Glen, Lincs, who are quite good, for air-dried English timbers. As far as I know they are still operating, (Google Earth tells me so at least!)

HTH

:D

Hmm
I once went to Sykes for some bubinga. Nothing at all wrong with the timber or, indeed the service. But they surcharged me 50% because I wasn't buying 10 cu ft or more.
As for Harry Adkins, once was enough. I bought some "special offer" beech for a bench and the first spring all the woodworm came out. For reasons I won't bore you with, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the guy who sold it to me knew what was wrong with it.
Whitmore's get my vote every time. And they have always let me select my own (although, admittedly they do charge a higher rate. It does, after all, take up more of their yardman's time, so that's fair enough).
S

Okay Steve,

I accept what you say, and I empathise.

It was way back in the 80s when I went to Adkins, (When they used to advertise in the Woodworker magazine, and whilst the old chap himself was still alive. I had some lovely air-dried ash and walnut from them. (Some of it I still have!)

My last order from Sykes was about 8 cube, but no surcharge was mentioned. If it had been suggested, naturally I'd have gone elsewhere.

As for Whitmores, I fully agree with you. They sounded very fair to me, and I don't mind paying extra when they go to extra trouble.

Cheers Steve. :D

(For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Harry Adkins is still there; I drive past their sign on the way to work every morning. I've never been in there, though; I keep forgetting by the time I'm home again in the evening!)

JakeS":1bhz3xwv said:
(For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Harry Adkins is still there; I drive past their sign on the way to work every morning. I've never been in there, though; I keep forgetting by the time I'm home again in the evening!)

I seem to recall the yard was accessed from the centre of the Village, near to the green. But memory plays tricks. According to Google Earth the yard must have moved. Maybe the village has been remodelled?

Cheers.
:D

Back