Sycamore Coffee Table Finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my coffee table project to the stage of thinking about finish.
75684A8E-EF2B-44D6-A007-CE6CC6548601.jpeg

The better half would like a slightly richer finish than the light colour. Also aware that it’ll darken over time anyhow.

As it’s a coffee table I’m also thinking about durability and resistance to spills/splashes.

My finishing experience is limited and think I need something different but don’t know what. My experiences:
- Danish oil. My understanding is this turns sycamore a nasty colour.
- Polyvine decorators varnish. Will give some protection but is not tinted so will keep the piece light.
- Osmo UV oil. Will not give much spill protection but can get in a tinted finish.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions please.

Thanks

Fitz

PS if interested I’ve updated the WIP on this over in projects.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
As Eddy just said, I use these two products, decant a little bit of the varnish into a jar and add a few drops of dye and you can have your wood any colour you want, I experimented with turquoise once -extremely effective and of course the finish is really hard and proof against hot cups of tea. Ian
668F5133-8248-48B6-9780-32C4633039F2.png
6936B96C-D55F-4E79-B521-A12B08BD53DA.png

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on gettng your project to the home straight! And kudos for pausing before plunging into finishing, a mistake at this stage is a sickener.

I've posted before on finishing pale timbers like Sycamore. There are a few traps that you need to avoid.

You mention Polyvine, but be very careful with water based finishes like these. There's a difference between brands but as a generality water based varnishes give you decent protection from water, tea, or coffee spills, but very poor protection against fruit juice or red wine.

Here's Polyvine on Sycamore with a red wine stain left on the surface for ten seconds and for one minute before being wiped away with a damp cloth.

Wine-Test-10-Min-01.jpg

These stains are permanent, you'd have to strip to remove them.

For comparison here's Osmo. I don't know how your monitor is calibrated so I don't know what colour you'll see, but in real life it's got a slight yellow tint, what it doesn't have is any staining! You'd have to leave red wine on Osmo/Sycamore for over an hour before you'd get even the faintest trace of staining.

Wine-Test-10-Min-04.jpg

If the yellow is too much then consider Osmo Transparent Raw. It has a tiny trace of Titanium White to precisely counter the yellowing, but as you can see it gives all the protection of regular Osmo.

Wine-Test-10-Min-03.jpg

Osmo Raw keeps that look or a year or two depending on UV levels where your table will be used (longer in a north facing room, a lot less in a conservatory. But eventually the underlying timber will oxidise and yellow. There are finishes with UV inhibitors but they have their own drawbacks and nothing I've ever found gives a bone white finish permanently. Although bleaching in certain timbers lasts longer than the alternatives. This is bleached Oak that's held up for several years and is still going strong,

Bleached-Oak-01.jpg

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Custard, I never knew that about red wine on water-based varnishes, which is surprising with my propensity for spilling it everywhere, I shall have to experiment. Ian

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with Custard about Osmo though I have only limited experience I used it on a butcher block island unit for my son and it's been well used since for general kitchen duties including spills of all kinds as well as a bit of hammering by my 7 year old granddaughter. Apart from wiping it clean no more finish has been applied and it's in excellent condition after I think now a couple of years.

To keep it natural I used Osmo raw and wiped on multiple coats, Osmo is expensive but goes a long way