SWMBO unsupported

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerranOak

Established Member
Reaction score
She Who Must Be Obeyed has a potting shed.

She want a work surface in there for potting plants, etc. so it will get rough use and be pretty wet.

The surface has to fit in an alcove 1410mm wide and needs to be 600mm deep. She wants it unsupported at the front so it will only have battens at the sidees and back.

I thought of marine ply for resistance but wondered if it would sag in the middle at the front? I also wonder if ordinary kitchen worktop would do?

Any advice would be welcome, thank you.

I would say there are a couple of options.
1st - a torsion box work surface. So ply top/bottom with either a ply core or timber

2nd - Ply work surface with a rebated batten on the front. Glued/screwed to the ply for added support / strength.

Kitchen worktop is obviously not ideal due to the nature of the chipboard core.

However having said that I have used such in a 12 foot long greenhouse for over 20 years, it's been replaced a couple of times from salvaged kitchen refurbish and offcuts. It sits on 4 X 2 runners back and front.

Currently there are sections where the laminate is starting to lift because of water ingress but not bad enough to risk any sort of collapse. Even have an old stainless steel sink still let into the one section which acts as a potting compost bin, very handy for potting up.
DSCN3781.JPG

Complete with a batch of plants that did not make it outside because of the severe frosts.

Attachments

• DSCN3781.JPG
    DSCN3781.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 248
If you go the kitchen worktop route, I'd suggest smearing a good film of silicone sealant on all the exposed chipboard. It will help prevent water ingress.
S

On Gardeners' World, Monty Don uses a big potting tray made of Plywood. I guess if it rots, you build a new one.

You could possibly put a plastic mat, or bin bag, underneath to stop water coming through onto the bench surface below.

A couple of scaffold boards? Maybe chuck some sort of preserver on them? Probably won;t last forever, but got to be good for a few years' service?

Cheers all, some brilll ideas. I'll use them in MY shed!

However, as this is for SWMBO, it has to be a bit "posh". I'm more worried about the sagging in the middle to be honest. I normally make small thing and this is a bit "constructional" for me!

I would go for a plastic potting tray or even 2 side by side (there are some very nice ones with shelf) and support on 2 battens.

I have a plastic potting tray that also comes with a shelf. Wasn't expensive and available in garden centres. Makes cleaning up a whole lot easier and keeps the compost contained.

Jensmith":2rfhulym said:
I have a plastic potting tray that also comes with a shelf. Wasn't expensive and available in garden centres. Makes cleaning up a whole lot easier and keeps the compost contained.

On the subject of those garden centre trays, I've just got a small one to stand my Tormek grinder in, stops drips on the workbench.

Yes, I have one of those potting trays as well.

I've found it to be useful, enough for a stack a pots, a small bucket of compost and trayful of seedlings.

When you've finished potting you can just pick up the tray and pour any spilt compost back where it came from then give it a wipe with a cloth to keep it clean.

It also comes in handy for mixing up small batches of compost.

Whipping up a batch of compost by nanscombe, on Flickr

I made tops out of pallets 30 years ago. The top was a half with both strips still attached, and the under shelves below were the other 'halves' with only one strip. End frames were made up of further scrapped wood and it is still there now. Light like 2x1. Like many things it was a temporary measure as a needs must at the time. For the earthy bit I used ordinary small piece of 3/4 blockboard and r/w upstands which has seen better days. So perhaps you dont need to go down a costly path. Pallets are 1200mm square if I remember so may fit. Best wishes.

Get an offcut of worktop (40mm thick if you can, if its only 25 dont worry), seal all the exposed edges and glue and screw a 2x2 batten on the underside front edge - seat it on battens round the alcove and fix it down. Job done.

Back