Swivel Head Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there a swivel head lathe on the market that hasn't got a long bed. I'm not interested in spindles just bowls. All the swivel head lathes I've looked at have a long bed which I don't need, I need a short bed version.

Cheers John.

Hi Johnny, I have Record Herald Coronet, which I like very much. Head swivels, has short bed, and future proofed if you ever decide you need longer, with bed extension being available.

Decent used Tyme Avon short bed? They done seem to fetch much but they’re a quality machine. I believe if it was really too long for you, or you could only find a long bed example, you could cut the square bars to your preferred length.

After the previous suggestion of a herald, I looked at one, just about in my price range. 👍
14in over the bed also headstock revolves and clicks into place so the blurb says 21in bowls are possible. Its totally changed my experience of turning. From 90 to 4000 rpm and all speeds In between. If you have the money go for it matey.

I have just recently purchsaed a Cornet Herald (thank you santa), very impressed very smooth and quiet.
I did consider the Stratus Midi Pro from Simon Hope also an excellent lathe but considerably more expensive.

Poolewood make a swivel head lathe...the early one had a mechanical speed change (bit like twist n go mopeds, works well and also has a stepped pulley), the later ones were electronic......the bed is just heavy chromed tubes that can be cut short if needed....
I beleive they are a standard size tube so short replacement are available.....
plenty of choice on here to be within ur price range.....

Latest posts

Back