Swivel head lathe recommendations pls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penllysbach

Established Member
Reaction score
Am looking for recommendations for a swivel head lathe with 36" bed. Looking to buy second hand ... I think.
Thanks

I have a Record CL1 36 and have had no problems in the 20 odd years I have had it. No idea what the new ones are like but if they are owt like mine then they will go on for a hell of a long time. Up to about 12" over the bars and I have turned 18" with the head swung.

That includes the 13" case for my clock

c clock case mounted 2.jpg
Wooden clock assembledish.jpg

I "cut my teeth" on a second hand (likely 10th plus hand!) Wadkin 150 which turned out to be a project in itself. Rather than spend my time refurbishing it, I bit the bullet and bought a new Stratos FU230 with the bed extension. It's a brilliant piece of kit and the bed extension gives you 1.05m between centres (600mm without it). The head turns as you want and the extension can be mounted perpendicular to the bed. Mike Waldt reviews it on YouTube.
I believe the FU230 is manufactured in Taiwan and I think it is badged by a number of companies, as I have seen very similar looking machines being used on YouTube. Hope Woodturning are the UK agents, but they didn't have stock when I was in the market, so I bought mine from a company in Austria (worked out a bit cheaper at the time as well).
It isn't a cheap lathe, but I think it will serve me well and hold it's value. I have seen one or two come up for sale second hand around Europe, but mainly at auction (online) and by the time you paid the shipping and buyer premium the risk of an unknown history wasn't worth the saving over new.
IMG_5217.JPG

Back