Switch for Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Ern

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember someone saying that they had made a switch for a router table. I can't find the info and wondered if someone could advise me on the way to do this. I know an NVR switch is best but I'm trying to keep costs down. The router is 2000w DW625.

Thanks,

Axminster do one for about £22 - Still fiendishly expensive, I think.
I would worry if I was using a home-made one tho'

Sorry that link I've just sent to the forum doesn't seem to work - just go to rswww.com and search for "no-volt release switch".

LE, i know that you are trying to keep the cost down but you cannot put a price on your health. You only need the router to switch on once unexpectedly to injure you badly.

Try ebay to see if they have a decently priced one, or if you want a bargain NVR switch, buy the £24.99 router table from Aldi which is mentioned elsewhere, and take the switch off that. You may even decide that you like the table, which would sort your problem out in one go. Apparently in the thread i am talking about "£24.99 Router Table" a few of the members rate aldi tools.

Good luck in what ever avenue you take.

regards

Woody

You can buy an NVR switch for less than the Aldi table. IF you might want the table, OK, but if you just want the switch it is a waste of money and you won't know the quality or the specification.

The only NVR switches that I've seen on sale are available through mail order for approximately £20. By the time you've paid for delivery, the price is roughly what the Aldi router table will cost.

To my mind, it makes sense to buy the Aldi table which might solve the whole issue of acquiring a router table. If not, at least you can cannibalise the NVR switch and probably other components as well. You'll hardly be out of pocket.

Jake, if you know of places where you can get NVR switches significantly cheaper than £20, I'm sure we'd all love to know who the retailers are.

Gill

My router table has a standard household type switch on the front wired to an outlet on the back into which the router gets plugged. Actually, I have two switches and a split duplex outlet so that I can plug in a shop vac as well.

If you want an NVR style switch, you might consider making one. It is basically a latching relay circuit as in the attached drawing. You should be able to find a relay and a couple of push button switches that will handle the current in your local electronics store. Check with the old guy in town who repairs (or used to repair) televisions. He might have the stuff on hand in his back room.

E33_Latching_Relay_2.gif

Mod Edit: UKWORKSHOP RECOMMEND that you purchase a UK APPROVED NVR switch. If you decide to build your own THEN IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT IT WORKS CORRECTLY.

I didn't say you could save a significant amount of money, Gill. But you could save a couple of pounds simply by buying from Axminster. As I said if you want to use the table, or like the idea of having a spare cheapo plastic extrusion to keep, then fine. Otherwise, you are paying more money for something that is built way down to a price to who knows what specifications.

Does it say what wattage the switch is safe with?

They do come up on ebay, back in February I bought a job lot of 5 complete with good quality plugs, sockets and leads, total cost.........£42.50.
I have fitted then up for the easy control of the compressor, cyclone and air filter. When I use the router lathe on the bench, I put one in the tail vice connect it in the router lead much safer than fumbling for the switch on the router.

Many thanks everyone for your replies. Some good iformation there to follow up.
The table will be cheep and cheerful but I recognise the points made about safety.
I must admit that if I could just get an NVR switch for £20 ish I would buy it but I assumed (probably wrongly) that the Axminster one would be rated the same as the Trend one. i.e. not big enough for 2000w.
Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again.

LE,

You can get a NVR switch rated at 16 amps (4kW!) from CPC for £7.72 plus vat. http://www.cpc.co.uk and search for SW01581 or 'no volt release'
There is no need pay Axminster or Aldi prices.

Apologies that my previous posted URL did not lead directly to the switch.

Hope this helps

Bob

If you want an NVR style switch, you might consider making one. It is basically a latching relay circuit as in the attached drawing. You should be able to find a relay and a couple of push button switches that will handle the current in your local electronics store. Check with the old guy in town who repairs (or used to repair) televisions. He might have the stuff on hand in his back room.

If anyone does decide to make their own, Make sure the relay coil is a 240v ac type, most relays have dc coils (i.e. 12v dc or 24v dc etc) this type won't work in this circuit, the ac types tend to be harder to get hold of. Relays have a coil voltage and a contact rating voltage/current, make sure the coil works off 240 V ac and that the contacts are rated for the required amount of current at 240 v ac.

Back