Swirl Marks after using Festool Rotex (ROS mode)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
HI All

I have conscientiously sanded from 80-120-150 using my Festool RO150, in ROS mode, not rotary/geared mode. However, I am left with noticeable swirl marks that are particularly noticeable after finish is applied.

This has happened on the last project too, but put it down to user error (which is still could be!) as I only have the sander a short time.

Any pointers?

Thanks

This is just a downside of ROS's that happens when you apply too much pressure. Before changing grits go over the wood with a light sweep - allow the 'random orbit' to do it's thing!

You will now be disowned by all Festool owners for admitting this happens - they all tell me it never does and that I'm using the wrong sander!! :)

You will now be disowned by all Festool owners for admitting this happens - they all tell me it never does and that I'm using the wrong sander!! :)
:ROFLMAO: So true

The problem with Festool, is the youtube reviews telling you how amazing and incredible they are, so you buy one.... Only to realise your mates Bosch, at half the price, is actually twice as good

(and I owns a lot of Fezzys, but I'm a sucker for a salesman)

Don't sand, scraper or a sharp plane then finish.

Pete

It's more of a problem with the smaller sanders, because the vacuum pressure pulls the sander onto the work surface, so even if you think you're using a light touch there's actually quite a lot of pressure. There's a valve on the sander and/or hose to allow the vacuum pressure to be reduced, it's just a simple gate but it does the job.

The problem with Festool, is the youtube reviews telling you how amazing and incredible they are, so you buy one.... Only to realise your mates Bosch, at half the price, is actually twice as good

I have nothing against Festool but my philosophy has always been that some tools have limited lifespans - especially sanders. I had a Festool salesman in my workshop once who couldn't get his head around my comment that when my ROS dies I just walk across to the toolshop and buy a new one and carry on working! Then I get the other one looked at and have a spare.

Don't sand, scraper or a sharp plane then finish.

Pete

That depends on the finish Pete. If you're oiling or waxing the piece then absolutely, you can finish directly on a planed finish and few things look lovelier.

But if you're using a thin film finish, say varnish for example, that requires sanding between coats, then finishing directly onto a planed finish can get you into trouble.

Most planed surfaces are minutely scalloped (so are surfaces finished with a hand held card scraper), so there are also high points or ridges. The interim sanding can cut right through the finish on the ridges and expose the bare wood beneath. Consequently the general rule is to always sand bare wood whenever you'll be using a finish that itself requires sanding.

I tend to use danish oil on everything, but I seem to be using mostly oak.
I do hate sanding and try to avoid it if possible, nasty, dusty, and noisy, I remember sanding stuff at school with glass paper, stinky, fishy, smooth as baby’s bottom.
So plane then what grit to start with?

Pete

Cough...splutter.. well thats you blotted your copybook.... :ROFLMAO:

Back