Swipe card system.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got to make and fit a pair of doors soon for a club and have a couple of questions;
1. Can anybody recommend a good swipe card or proximity card locking system.
2. With either of the above locks is it best to have rebated meeting styles or square edges , I dont have much experience of these locks but would guess that square edges would be better
because of the type of keep?
Cheers, Merlin.

Find a proper locksmith who fits access control systems. They will (should) give you proper advice and will sell the parts.
Failing that come to Reigate and speak to my son at Southern Lock & Safe.

If you choose rebated doors ensure that you fit a 'door selector'.

Brian

I would be inclined to ask if these are required to be fire doors, in which case rebated meeting stiles would be the order of the day, as they are better for preventing smoke spreading, without reverting to Intumescent smoke seals...bosshogg :|

I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer)

Having experience as a user of various electronic entry systems over the years I would say the contactless type where the card has to be held within and inch or two of the sensor are far superior to the 'swipe through a slot' type as the reader is not sensitive to the alignment of the card.
Also when it comes to the lock itself. Make sure that the customer chooses the option they want for behaviour in a power cut.
Some stay locked when un powered and other open when power is lost. Each has different, undesirable characteristics.

Bob

Thw idea of swipe cards on fire doors scares the hell out of me!

Roy.

Roy, this is why the power fail open type are used. They can be linked to the fire alarm system to open in the event of a fire.
The slight downside is that the solenoids have to be powered up all the time to keep the doors locked and they run hot when enclosed in wood.
Exposed ones stay cooler but don't look pretty.

Bob

A fire door cannot be operated by swipe cards for exit. Any door which serves as a fire exit from a building requires keyless egress. The exact type of hardware used depends on whether the door is used exclusively by employees or occupants who are briefed on the use of the exits, or untrained members of the public. If these are fire doors any kind of key, card, fob etc to exit is a big no no.

I much prefer rebated double doors, they are IMO the right way to do double doors. Most good quality mortice locks or latches will have compatible rebate sets allowing their use on rebated doors.

The lock you use will in most cases be separate from the fob/prox tag/card system, which will merely provide release voltage to the lock, or operate a relay to operate the lock with power from a separate supply. I would check with the customer what their scenario is for typical use of the doors, and strongly recommend they use any fob/card/tag/code system purely for access control, with more traditional lever or cylinder locks for security when they are not open.

Roy, this is why the power fail open type are used. They can be linked to the fire alarm system to open in the event of a fire.

I'm still not happy with the idea Bob, Murphy's Law is infallible IME.

Roy.

The locksmith I always use is getting details (I only asked him yesterday) as far as fire doors are concerned it is not a problem as they are fitted on a listed building and have to be like for like.
The lock at present is a push button type so the plan was to see about a better system, the proximity method does seem to be the best option so I will investergate further.
The closed leaf is bolted shut most of the time so not a problem, I aggree with the comments about getting locked in case of power failure so the plan was to have a turn knob inside anyway and to fit a normal lever latch so that a key could be used from the outside.
When I have sorted things out with the locksmith I will report back.,
Thanks, Merlin.

OK so on all fire or exit doors there must be a safety break glass to deactivate the locks from the inside depending on the scenario of course. as I've fitted quite a lot of access control systems as this is my job i could say that for a not too expensive system you could use paxton access control systems, I'm an approved installer and can fit these for you if you require you will use electronic latches, mags or mag dead style locks as general but you have many options with these system and I'd nee to see the layout to design it to suit! Remember they must be dda compliant. pm me if you've any questions.
Ryan

Back