Swimming Pool Stairs - Hardwood options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A friend has asked me to create some pool stairs for her, here are my design options:
279893416_384367613451184_5565059823528391761_n.png

This is the most likely design:
281151274_667058304393431_3054034443779261344_n.png

She doesn't know what materials she wants yet, so I am going to cost up 3 options:
1. cheap decking boards
2. composite decking boards
3. hardwood boards

I am hoping she chooses the hardwood option as I think that will look best

Questions:

1. What are my hardwood options for exterior decking?
2. Has anybody used hardwood for decking before and do you have pictures you are willing to share?
3. Will the hardwood decking option look ok if mixed with standard construction timber for the framing, and if not what are my options - probably stain for the construction timber to colour match I guess?
4. Do I just buy hardwood (using the very helpful sticky about the topic) or are there such things as hardwood decking boards I should look at instead?

Bonus question

B1. here is an alternative design - do you think this is better? It feels like it is, but I don't know why...

pool steps.jpg

thank you in advance!

Martin

Seriously? So they were submerged for twenty years? Winner!
That could give the option of them not needing a ladder on the other side, I could basically mirror the same design into the pool.

Yup. The top couple of steps were nearly always virtually dry, the next couple were alternately dry and soaking and the bottom ones submerged all the time. There was no noticeable difference in their condition when removed - they were taken out only for a major refurb. The steps had holes bored through them and were attached to stainless steel sides (from the s/s with plastic steps that had all cracked) with s/s threaded rod, so they even had water in their centres all that time.

Thanks Phil, that's great info.
James, I just proposed that option based on what Phil explained above, however they want cheap and cheerful and I will be going for decking boards on one side and Amazon metal ladder on the other. Might be one to leave out of my portfolio 😅
Martin

Thanks Phil, that's great info.
James, I just proposed that option based on what Phil explained above, however they want cheap and cheerful and I will be going for decking boards on one side and Amazon metal ladder on the other. Might be one to leave out of my portfolio 😅
Martin
Why not use deck boards both sides? Could still do an up and over unless they already have a pool side ladder?

Good pine won't rot in a swimming pool as the chlorine will preserve it....?

seems like a nice option to me, I suppose you lose some space inside the pool, its only 3.7m diameter, but I think they are set on the metal beauties for inside the pool - only £40 so hard to argue with that really.
Martin

You can get hardwood decking boards in durable timbers but they'll all need an annual cleaning to keep slime and lichen free. I think plastic deck boards are a great maintenance free option and less slippery.

Latest posts

Back