Sweet success?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
If I watered my strawberry plants with a sugar solution, will they taste sweeter? (well it does say 'off-topic' doesn't it?).

Apart from attracting pests like slugs and aphids, I should think the water will evaporate, the sugar will crystallise, clogging the leaves and preventing transpiration and the plants will die a slow, horrible death, screaming faintly for a while.

my grandpa used to say that good manure made them sweeter...........
just make sure you wash them before you eat them..... :D

I'd do it scientifically - honest! You know, just water them around the base and rig a small electric slug fence off a PP3.

Hi Tony

Get a PP3 battery and put your tongue on the two terminals and you will be surprised by the power that is in a PP3 battery. :shock:

All the best

John

From a slugs eye perspective, a PP3 battery would look a pretty damn big piece of kit with fence wire as thick as scaffold tube. A slug should be worried.

I've never thought of slugs as the worrying type before. :?

Isn't copper s'posed to be very good for anti-slug protection? Maybe they short themselves out without the aid of a battery or something... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Remember, slugs and 'orrible things are just what hedgehogs need to live on, so you could maybe just accept the slugs may nibble the odd plant, but you'll be helping a little hedgehog somewhere? :roll: :roll: 8)

Adam

Now, there a point. I may have to go and experiment in my secret laboratory. Anyway, if the slug fence doesn't work, I wonder how sweet the slugs.... no, no don't even think about it! Actually, my niece when about 3, used to snack on them regularly and it clearly did no harm - well..erm.. not that I'll ever no any different that is. :shock:

johnjin":35l50gpr said:
Hi Tony

Get a PP3 battery and put your tongue on the two terminals and you will be surprised by the power that is in a PP3 battery. :shock:

All the best

John

How can you be sure the slugs will put their tongue across the terminals :wink:
Shock is all to do with current flow until the voltage becomes huge and then you will be fried regardless.

Ohms law (V=I*R) determines the current through a body at DC and for a human 30mA or so is potentially fatal at 240V. At 9va a human cannot even feel the current flow.

I have no idea about the current that a slug could sustain but doubt that 9V will do much - although the lovely slime might well reduce their resistance and thus increase current flow.
I shall of course torture a slug later with a PP3 in the interests of science as they keep eating my tomatos and lettuces.

Cheers

Tony

Edited for spelling as I can't type very well

Ooh..errr, does oyur reistnac realyy make a differencee :wink:

This is what I like about this forum, where else can you get such a diverse range of subjects for discussion like - the relative merits of the resistance (no pun intended :D ) of slugs to a PP3 battery !

anyway, wouldn't slugs be self earthing so low to the ground :)

Well, if this topic achieved nothing else, it lightened an otherwise tedious afternoon at work :D Thanks too all for the responses!.

Latest posts

Back