Sweet Chestnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
This log is due to be milled very soon, but will involve cutting the longest piece (12+ metres) in half. I think it's unusual to have such a straight piece at this length (maybe I'm wrong?), and perhaps it's worth trying to sell as it is for someone with a bigger mill to process. Is there any commercial reason for producing boards at that length, though? Seems such a shame to reduce it to more standard lengths.
IMG_2227.jpg

(The wheelbarrow's a miniature kids' one, in case there's any confusion over scale!)

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 279
I'm no expert but I'd imagine, looking at how many massive knots there are going to be in that tree that there will be very few useable planks at 12ft in length.

Unless you're a Viking and you want a new table to go down the length of your longhouse I really don't see a point in the material being any more than 5m in length. I doubt there are many workshops in Britain that could easily machine a 12m long plank without banging the end against a wall somewhere :lol:, most are set up to process timbers that are 6m maximum as that's what you'll pretty much only be able to get commercially.

I'm sure you're right, I can't think of a single use for a 12m plank. Just wondered before it got cut up. I think what I really want is it put in my back garden so I can admire it and continue wondering. :)

ps In case BM101 is watching, maybe hollow it out and make a family-size canoe?

I reckon it probably works the other way around. Someone will approach a timber merchant and ask if they could obtain overly-long boards , then the merchant will go out to their suppliers asking for them to look out for a suitable tree. I suspect that having that sit around for years waiting for someone after something so unusual is not commercially justifiable.

Having said that, wooden boat builders (there are still plenty down in Devon and Cornwall, for instance) would probably be very pleased to see near- 40 foot boards for planking.

Back