Swap wheels on Axminster grinder AWBGDL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever swapped over the wheels on one of these? The white wheel being on the right stops me from getting a full grind on my side scraper, so I would like to have it on the left.

But I have to admit that after reading Keith Rowley, I'm a bit nervous about mucking around with the grinding wheel myself unless I know it's easily do-able and not a really. bad. idea.

Sorry if this seems a very timid newbie question. But is this possible / easy to do?

can't see it myself.........

obvious issues would seem to be -
1. spindle lengths might be different left and right so the wider wheel won't be able to be attached (they might not be though)
2. all the safety gear will need rejigging - but this might just work OK

for that task I use a sanding disc rather than a grinder wheel - better finish and flatter over the wide edge. If you don't have one it would be easier to make one to use on your lathe headstock, inc a set 10 degree 'support' then mess around with your grinder! In fact, if you don't have one it's probably even more reason to make one and have an adjustable table so you have 80 and 90 degrees available! Keep one wheel dedicated to sharpenning if you are going to use this arrangement for wood too.

I should have added that 'grinding' the side of a scrapper is a very infrequent task - the edge is maintained with a light hone on the top face

I have the Perform (yellow) version before Axminster adopted it and painted it white. I have fitted mine up with a white wheel on both sides. This lets me leave a platform set up for the bevel angle on my skews and a gouge profiling jig on the other.
You can swap the wheels but you also have to move the wider cover with the spark guide as well. This is not a problem as it is held in place by being trapped between the inner and end cover. Just loosen the screws in the end covers and it all comes apart. The white wheel is dished and is the same thickness as the grey wheel where they clamp on the spindle.

Good luck

Bill

Thanks.

Yewtube - would the right guard fit onto the left side? Wouldn't it be wrong way around? I suppose I could buy a 40mm white wheel and replace the grey one.

Jumps - do you have a picture of the set up you have described? Im trying to imagine it.

I admit, I don't really 'get' the honing of scrapers thing. That's what I have been taught, that you just refresh the tool with a hone on the top face. But I seem to have no success with that, and everything I have googled to try and work out why just says the scraper cuts with the burr which is raised on the top face by grinding. So if I just keep honing the top face, surely I will never raise a new burr?

How do you go about it?

[/quote]
drillbit":2ate8hb4 said:
Yewtube - would the right guard fit onto the left side? Wouldn't it be wrong way around? I suppose I could buy a 40mm white wheel and replace the grey one.

The end guards are not interchangeable but the part of the guard that carries the spark shield is symmetrical and can be used on either side.

I don't know if you guys have seen these or not, but as far as I am concerned, there are no better wheels out there. The CBN is made for grinding steel, diamond is for carbide. Price is a bit steep, but when you stop to consider that you never need to balance them, true them up, move your grinding jigs to compensate for smaller wheels, clean them, or worry about them blowing up, they are worth every penny. About $180 US. Oh, yea, they never wear out.

http://www.d-waytools.com/tools-diamond ... heels.html

robo hippy

Back