Suspect tax scam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":7gwmkzdh said:
Presumably if he had to withdraw the money, there must have been a plan by the fraudster to meet him and take the money. Why couldn't the police trap him/her then ? Or better still, a few friends with 2 x 2's. Just make sure no CCTV around.

They send a genuine taxi around with instructions to pick up a packet and deliver it to some address where they can disappear if anyone else turns up.

A different version of this is to order something valuable on a stolen credit card to be delivered urgently by a courier. They give the genuine address of the company/person the credit card is stolen from so it gets past any address validation and make sure they order from a company some distance away which means the courier will arrive when the genuine business is closed. When the courier has started on the journey they phone up the company and or courier saying they have to go out/ business meeting etc so they will not be there at the original address and can the courier deliver it to a local hotel, car park, business park, etc. I think most business and couriers are alert to this one now.

I worked for a mail order company with stores for a while, a favourite was to order trainers costing just below the credit card threshold for full checking with the CC company for a pick up from a store. The card would of course be stolen or cloned. If the store apprehended the person picking up the goods as a result of the card being detected as stolen they would just say they had been forced to do it or paid a fiver to pick it up for someone in the pub and they knew nothing about the stolen card.

I get these or the old "you have a parcel" and similar text rubbish often but always good to spread the word as phishing/smishing and similar scams seem to be taking more folk for a ride these days.
Assuming you have a PP account (I do, if you don't - big hint) any contact (usually emails, never had texts, ) would contain your account name - Dear Noel, you are skint - type of thing:
So keep an eye out:

9LcxlHQ.png

Back