Survived

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Pleased to say I survived an 800 mile travelling experience upto London and Norfolk this week.
One silly sod came through at over 90mph on my inside lane at the Bristol interchange as I was changing lane myself, then another
non woodworker on the outside lane of a 3 lane roundabout wanted to drive into the first turning left of a roundabout.

Good old Devon is the best. :)

You don't understand - Exeter isn't really Devon. It's a bit of Birmingham that escaped down the M5 one night when no-one was looking. :D

A tip for turning right in Birmingham (and possibly Exeter? :) )

When two cars approach from opposite directions, each intending to turn right, they pass in front of each other, not behind each other as is the normal procedure elsewhere in the country. This can be disconcerting to the uninitiated.

At least, that's how my Lincolnshire driving instructor taught me to turn right. And no, I didn't take my driving test in a horse and cart :p :) .

Gill

I think in these days of low cost cam corders it might come about oneday that drivers instll a camera on their dashboard window and have evidence of how nice some people drive so they can send them off to DVLC at Swansea and arrange further driving tests.
Not necessary for me of course, but for certain city type drivers with four exhaust pipes.

Gill":26l5jyjt said:

When two cars approach from opposite directions, each intending to turn right, they pass in front of each other, not behind each other as is the normal procedure elsewhere in the country. This can be disconcerting to the uninitiated

Although this is how it was written in the Highway Code as the "correct" way to do it - it means you don't obstruct each others view :)
It's just that nobody bothers :cry:

PowerTool":2fck43vs said:
Gill":2fck43vs said:

When two cars approach from opposite directions, each intending to turn right, they pass in front of each other, not behind each other as is the normal procedure elsewhere in the country. This can be disconcerting to the uninitiated

Although this is how it was written in the Highway Code as the "correct" way to do it - it means you don't obstruct each others view :)
It's just that nobody bothers :cry:
I always pass behind the oncoming vehicle unless the road markings state otherwise.

Thanks for the link - that clears it up for everyone :?

So both ways can be correct - was the new version of the Highway Code (newer than my 1981 version :wink: ) written by a politician ?

Have you noticed that in the Highway Code booklet, there are ever only a couple of vehicles on the road at the same time? It makes driving so much easier.

A bit like where I live, Roger. :wink: But, usually, the other one is a b****y great tractor and trailer (full of apples at the moment). :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

devonwoody":3hbemp4n said:
I think in these days of low cost cam corders it might come about oneday that drivers instll a camera on their dashboard window and have evidence of how nice some people drive so they can send them off to DVLC at Swansea and arrange further driving tests.
Not necessary for me of course, but for certain city type drivers with four exhaust pipes.

You ar not refering to me I hope :twisted:

Mcluma, naturally of course not.

Just those three drivers who nearly killed me over the week.

There was another lady (smoking a cigar, and whilst she was lighting it whe couldn't maintain her lane).

Latest posts

Back