Surround for a flat computer screen?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
*Long Post Alert*

Hi guys

I designed and made a computer jukebox a couple of years ago. It is basically a PC with a touchscreen clamped on top. I have been meaning to put it all in a wooden box for some time and have been a bit baffelled with how to tackle the screen surround.

It's hard to explain so here's a few pics to start with:

ts3.jpg
ts2.jpg

ts1.jpg

This is the touch screen and it needs to be mounted at an angle probably on MDF. The thing that is making me scratch my head is the surround for the touchscreen. It needs to cover up the sides and about 10mm of the touchscreen. Here's the catch, the touchscreen is off set to the control unit behind it, so it looks like this:

touchscreen.jpg

I am at a loss on how to make this look pretty. Any design ideas people?

Cheers

(hope it makes sense)

Make a feature of the 'wider' offset frame side, an inlaid logo, motif or geometric design such a few contrasting inlays of a differing wood, a couple of vertical stripes for instance.

Thanks both of you for replying. But i'm a bit confused, I still can't see it.

Any chance of a sketch? or example

:?

I would mount the control panel off center so that the screen is central to the MDF base. Then all you would need is a simple rebated frame that can be mitred at the corners, just like a picture frame to overlap the screen.

Jason

ah yes that makes sense jason, how would I make it?

Thank you Dave, That looks fantastic! Spot On

Here is the surround from underneath:

ts5.jpg

Any comments on construction? Rout it from a single piece of wood? or build it up in layers?

PS: Do you mind me asking how you sketched it in SketchUp? How did you achieve the routed corners and stepped underside? It seems like it is one solid object... :?

I would route it from one length then cut the mitres, you could just have a single rebate to make things easier, just pack the spaces if you want. Screw up through the MDF into the frame so the fixings don't show.

Jason

WiZeR, glad that was what you wanted.

I'll do up a tutorial for you on how I did it. You'll just click the page tabs at the top to see the steps. It'll take me a few minutes but I'll let you know when I'm done.

Top Man! I'll take some time to sit down and get my head round it... Thanks! :D

Back