surfed into this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,DW,
I think I wasted at least an hour and a half. Where does the time go when you are enjoying yourself ??
F.

Frank S":12ofi5oh said:
Thanks,DW,
I think I wasted at least an hour and a half. Where does the time go when you are enjoying yourself ??
F.
I posted at 8.10 you replied 8.42. :wink:

But pleased you enjoyed yourself.

I've been following Matthias Wandell for some time now. He's an engineer and had something to do with the development of the Blackberry, however his heart is in woodworking and he has adapted his engineering/mathematical skills, full time to creating some wacky and fascinating stuff.

For me his 'Pantorouter' is the best, he has also made machine tools from wood, band saw, thickness sander, planer plus more. They have to be seen to be believed, it's all on his You Tube site, which has currently had nearly 48 million hits.
He did some very convincing experiments on dust suspended in the workshop air. He's created software that you can buy that will design gears in wood for any application, you decide how big you want the gears, put in the ratio, and print the plan, glue the print out to your stock and cut out on the band saw.
I've exchanged emails a couple of times and he reckons he now makes a living from selling plans for his various inventions and will send you an emailed link every week to his newest designs, and other peoples too.
I can't post links yet as I'm new to this site, but you can YouTube him. Type in his name or pantorouter.

WARNING: Allow yourself lots of time when you start viewing, you will be captivated.

I understand you Gray.

But surely if wood, used as he uses it, was the best material for machinery, then the manufacturers would see this?
I admire what the guy does, but I can't see the point, unless one really can not afford to buy machinery.
Expressing that point of view is probably why he 'blocked' me from his channel, incidentally. Clearly he is a man who will only stand so much questioning of his methods.

Therefore I don't waste any more time on his channel. That doesn't mean I don't respect his right to be different, and I realise he is one 'clever dude', as they say. :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":15ycbdcd said:
I understand you Gray.

But surely if wood, used as he uses it, was the best material for machinery, then the manufacturers would see this?
I admire what the guy does, but I can't see the point, unless one really can not afford to buy machinery.
Expressing that point of view is probably why he 'blocked' me from his channel, incidentally. Clearly he is a man who will only stand so much questioning of his methods.

Therefore I don't waste any more time on his channel. That doesn't mean I don't respect his right to be different, and I realise he is one 'clever dude', as they say. :mrgreen:

I expect he gets fulfillment and satisfaction from designing and making this stuff. Some people can't understand why people make their own furniture or fruit bowls when they can go and buy something. Personally I like what he's done, it's the sort of thing I'd do give the facilities and resources.

I have seen his youtube vids and site and admire the man a LOT. But one has to say putting so much time and effort into making wooden machinery is the end in itself, because surely one can put that time into making furniture etc etc using normal tools / machines and do it without the hassel of first having to make the machinery to do the job.
One of his ideas worth making though is the panto router, but I would and several others have ( youtube ) make it out of metal. Wood wears quickly, splits, warps cant take torsional stress very well and generally isn't suitable for engineering projects. but I'm sure people will disagree :D

To me the "point" is simply because he can.
The world is full of people who make things because they can/want to, long may that continue. It matters not one iota what materials they use, they are doing something they clearly enjoy.

Some of the worlds best inventions have been made this way.

Benchwayze":26vlrx8k said:
I understand you Gray.

Fair comment, I just admire his skills and ingenuity. Makes entertaining watching for me at least. :wink:

Have to admit, I did like his bandsaw; and I assume, warping aside, it would run just as well as the metal cased Startrite in my shop. If I had the time and energy now, I might make a few experiments myself!

Nice to see I sparked a bit of discussion though. :D

Back