Surfacing boards wider than your planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Over on Fine Woodworking's website they have a video showing a chap using a jig to surface plane wide boards on a thickness planer. We all have come up against this-that beautifully figured board is 7 inches wide and your planer is only 6! :? This chap has come up with a novel way of getting around this. Have a look.....
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt095.asp

I think you'll agree, that works pretty sweetly. Gonna have a go at building one of these, I think.

Cheers
Philly :D

p.s. theres also a video by Mario Rodriguez on basic dado stuff on the tablesaw-not one for the "up-tight's" :lol: 8)
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt094.asp

Ah-ha. A classic example of the machines dictating instead of helping methinks...

Philly":nfapnn9u said:
We all have come up against this-that beautifully figured board is 7 inches wide and your planer is only 6! :?
Nope. Still madly British here and thus have a 10" planer thicknesser.
tounge.gif

Cheers, Alf

Managing to avoid mentioning the obvious hand tool solution too...
wink.gif

Just a variation on the usual jig for planing uneven boards. Would much prefer a stop on the end of the sled, anti-slip coating or not.

Noel

O.k. Boys and Girls...
"you have a beautifully figured 11 inch board and your planer is only 10 inches wide........."

You feel better now, smuggy?? :lol:
cheers
Philly :D
(only six inches wide :cry: )

O.k. Boys and Girls...
"you have a beautifully figured 11 inch board and your planer is only 10 inches wide........."

OK - my planer takes up to 12.5" wide and 12" thick. :p

Feeling smug.... 8)

I have a friendly cabinetmaker who lets me use his 20 inch planer. Trouble is I need to find three folk with time to spare just to feed big planks to it - they are so heavy! Result? I have used this facility just once - since when I have found a variety of hand methods that work better (handheld electric planer to start plus one or two LNs to follow up).

Philly":c7mtd3g5 said:
O.k. Boys and Girls...
By jove, is that a hand plane opportunity I see before me?
naughty.gif

Alternative answer
An 11" wide board?! And beautifully figured?! I'd be too busy wondering who's wood pile I'd got hold of...

philly":c7mtd3g5 said:
(only six inches wide :cry: )
They do say size isn't everything. Lying devils...
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

Philly,

you could just buy something like this Wadkin planer thicknesser, should cope with most boards your likely to get hold of. :wink:

good grief... that piece o cast iron would go through the floor of my shop....and take half the shop with it.. :lol:

I'll ummm... stick with my hand planes... up to 72" board width, handle anything that can fit in the shop, runs on peanuts... :wink:

Back