Surface Paner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo-Star

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks

I recently Acquired a small surface planer 6.5" x 37" table bed with a 1/2hp motor. I've been giving the machine a onceover today, and the name on the switch gear is Allan West "Brighton" I've been searching the web and find no reference to this machine, other than on Allan West switch gear only.

I wouldn't have thought that he supplied switch gear only

Knowing how knowlegeable you fellow woodworkers are, I was hoping you could maybe shed some light on it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

I found this, maybe relating to the above

WEST, Allen & Co., Ltd., Electrical Engineers, Lewes Road, Brighton. T. A A.: "Control Brighton." T. N.: Post Office 336 Brighton. Established 1910. Capital: Nominal, £150,000; Issued, £113,140. Employees: 1,230 (approx.). Directors: Allen West (Managing), W. J. Moggridge (Joint Managing and Sec.), E. A. Cox (Chairman) O. F. Best, V. Breeze, A. E. L. Slazenger. Products.— Drum, liquid and automatic controllers, lifting magnets, auto transformer starters, metallic resistances, star-delta starters, switch-boards switches, fuses, magnetic brake solenoids.

Can you post a picture, Someone may recognise the machine.

Good evening all

Sandyn apologies for not posting these pic's sooner, as I was busy on an AGS 10 restoration recently, and with little room for moving stuff around the shop in order to pull the planer out, I thought I'd leave it till later. Anyway here's some pic's and maybe someone here could enlighten me as to the maker off this planer.

The blade covers below, swing on tensioned springs fitted from the outfeed table. However looking from the left hand side, infeed table the blade cover clashes with the fence mounting bracket, with the use off only half the table bed without removing the offending guard, which makes them pointless really. Could this twin guard set-up be an after market addition ? The post in centre right pic is a piece off pipe I had, and the perfect fit for where the original blade cover would be mounted. I shall look at making an attachment and have it welded to this. Table Width x 6 1/2"

IMG_0857.JPGIMG_0863.JPGIMG_0902.JPG

Table length 37" the clash with the fence mounting bracket.

IMG_0911.JPGIMG_0932.JPGIMG_0933.JPG

Possibly the original blade guard location ? 1/2 hp Motor and with frame mount.

IMG_0935.JPGIMG_0939.JPGIMG_0944.JPG

Switchgear.

IMG_0884.JPG

If anyone help identify the maker off this planer, It would be much appreciated thank you

Rob

Back