Supporting member

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garno, please don't hesitate to ask basic questions. You've said you are a beginner. We all were once. And nobody knows everything.

Also, I think the urge to help is quite widespread, so basic questions will please people who can answer them, but not more advanced stuff.

I think the Mr X posts were related to a question I asked when the site first fired back up. It was about all the broken sections of the UKW website that were seperate from the forum that contained all the early vids by Steve and some others along with articles and a who we are profile thing of members that have not been ported over so far. I had enquired if they could be recovered and repaired. I think those posts were some admin experiments as all the vids used were from the ol site

........ I have reached the stage where I am embarrassed to ask any questions anymore as they are so basic I feel I should know the answers.........

No, no. You really shouldn't feel this way. There are always people willing to help. I've taught a complete beginner, and seeing it through his eyes was really revealing: basic questions are absolutely critical ("what's grain?".....for instance). You have an opportunity not open to the older ones amongst us of being able to pick the brains of a whole heap of people as you set out on your woodworking journey. We had to waste an awful lot of wood and stuff up some decent tools in the process of working things out for ourselves, and I'd hate to think of any keen newcomer going through that. If you really, really don't want to ask basic stuff in public, drop me a PM and we can do it that way.

You can disable all ads once and you will never see ads. At no time will this site become a "pay wall" site or require a paid membership to use the site. Nor will a paid membership be needed to access anything you currently can access for free. I've seen some comments about the future of the site and I can ensure you that is not going to happen.

I think the Mr X posts were related to a question I asked when the site first fired back up. It was about all the broken sections of the UKW website that were seperate from the forum that contained all the early vids by Steve and some others along with articles and a who we are profile thing of members that have not been ported over so far. I had enquired if they could be recovered and repaired. I think those posts were some admin experiments as all the vids used were from the ol site
Mr X was compiling the articles in a slightly different manner than what they were. He will not be around long, and the articles will show soon.

What's wrong with the Times? Best newspaper on the market.:)
in my youth people who got on their high horses always wrote angry letters to the times and signed them "disgusted, of Tunbridge Wells".
But that bit of social history might not have got as far as cornwall :rolleyes: :cool:

Seeing as all these threads are intermingled for a while, now that I actually HAVE a reaction score, is it possible for me to see it?

Seeing as all these threads are intermingled for a while, now that I actually HAVE a reaction score, is it possible for me to see it?
If you are using a mobile, click on your name or avatar picture and it will pop up.

If you are using a laptop or PC it's there, underneath your picture. Yours is 9 at present.

If you want to see a list of all the reactions, click on your picture in the stripe across the top of the page. This shows the equivalent of the old User Control Panel, including Reactions.

There is some misinformation in some earlier posts on here relating to Paypal which I know is not deliberate but needs correcting to avoid anyone making a wrong decision which ultimately costs them.

Paypal is regulated by the FCA and falls under the Financial Ombudsman Scheme so if you are unhappy with anything they have done it can be reviewed independently at no cost to you. The decision is binding on Paypal but not you. In that regard it's the same as any bank or credit card provider.

Section 75 Rights rely on a direct link between the parties. These rights sit under the Consumer Credit Act and effectively put a responsibility on the credit card company to refund if the goods are faulty or don't turn up etc and to seek the monies back from the seller. Paypal effectively acts an agent and breaks the link so simplistically Section 75 does not apply and the purchaser is reliant on the Paypal Terms and Conditions (and of course wider consumer regulation). You should not assume therefore that ultimately paying by credit card increases your protection. You should also remember that S75 only applies to payments between £100 and £30,000.

On the plus side for Paypal they have very clear terms and conditions and arguably act fairly in applying them. If they didn't the FCA and FOS would have their guts for garters. My view is that Paypal is fine for anything up to £100 but why forgo the extra protection of using a credit card for anything above that.

As far as security goes Paypal is materially no different to other online/mobile payment methods. Most fraud on payments emanates from the end user not keeping passwords safe or sharing their life story on social media so it can be harvested.

If you want to know more I would recommend taking a look at the Money Saving Expert (Martin Lewis) website which will have it all covered far better than I can.

Phil.... NO. But I did try the crossword once. I knew I wasnt going to live long enough to finish it.

Andy.... Mobile? viewing? Dont tell me theyve made computers mobile now? whatever next? landing on the moon maybe? :cool:
But I have found the reactions, ta.

Thanks Blackswanwood. Sorry I posted out of date / misleading info. I've edited my post to point to yours.

, I have reached the stage where I am embarrassed to ask any questions anymore as they are so basic

You should never feel embarassed to ask a question and NO-ONE should ever make you feel embarrassed for what they consider to be the basics, Despite what some would have you believe, NO-ONE knows everything about everything. I was once told the only stupid question is one you don't ask.

@Garno: +1 for what Lonsdale 73 has said. As my wife often likes to say, "No one fell down from the heavens knowing it all"! True, AND I bet you know some stuff that none of the rest of us do mate.

The content we have all freely posted is now owned by a US company - and they say that capitalism is dead!
Who says that? Capitalism is the cancer that will eventually kill this planet and it won't be dead until then. :)

Regarding Paypal: I've also never had any issues when using it although someone tried to scam me once by using a fake Paypal email and when I reported it they were not interested.

"not interested"? as in; this the 300, 000th phishing email we've had reported this year alone but you really want us to staff an entire office with people whose sole job is to take time to respond to each individual?
Be fair.
I've had several phishing papypal emails, theyre random generated to every email address ever discovered whether you have paypal or not. Basic security tells you to NEVER EVER click on a link in an email. I always send them on and I am pretty sure paypal has a software programme busy blocking them.

It wasn't a phishing email, it was related to something I was selling on Ebay. Don't make assumptions.

if i was wrong on the assumption, did paypal let you down? As i've said, 20 years, literally hundreds of transactions from single people abroad to amazon and the like, and never one single problem

Click on your name in the upper right corner. And the amount of reactions are under your avatar also.

1597330379995.png

Back