Supporting member

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I am happy to do this, but will wait a day or two.
Can braver people let me know when they have done it with no problems.

If you wish to wait a day or two, that is perfectly understandable. But, I do thank you for considering it.

Thank you very much Phil. It is appreciated. It does offset the server, software upgrades and developer. Also, we have someone working on making sure the articles get transferred here.

Phil. It may very well be "easy" to use PayPal, but who cares how easy it is,'cos it ain't safe/secure mate!

Do you only ever use cash? If not, whatever you're doing isn't "safe and secure". Paypal is no better or worse than using your card in an ATM or shop.

Now there is a credit card or debit card option if you do not like Paypal.

From all I've read, that statement isn't quite true, sorry.

From what I've experienced, PayPal is safer than using a credit card or ATM. In the past 20 years, two of my credit cards were compromised at the point of sale and one ATM card was skimmed at the machine. In all cases, I was able to stop the damage and eventually recover the funds, but it took over 90 days for each event. In those same 20 years of using PayPal, I have never had a bad experience. Ever.

From all I've read, that statement isn't quite true, sorry.

Well, what is it that you read? As per Mike K above, I've had cards cloned and had to recover funds - I've never once had my Paypal account compromised.

Yes it is. PayPal will come and raid your bank account on a whim.

Well set it up only with a credit card, and if you're bothered, with a card which has a low limit. Then you've got a comeback with the CC company, as well as with Paypal of course. I've never had an issue with Paypal, and Paypal has no idea of the existence of my bank account.

I've used paypal for possibly 20 years with never a single problem. The first year I used it I had my one and only complaint against an ebay seller and paypal refunded the money to me. It is set for them to take money ONLY from a credit card. They dont even (officially) have my bank details. Even my wife is using it for her multitude of purchases for everything.
I can send money to anybody who is a paypal member and I only need their email address. Just how more secure could it be?

To those who have paid their subscription - does the forum become usable (eg easy to read and not more advert than text) once you have done so?

In reply to others who have contested my wish to never use PayPal, I freely admit that this is pure prejudice on my part, nothing to do with personal experience (but OTOH, so far, touch wood, despite roaming around the world pretty extensively I have never had any problems with either of my credit cards). Lucky? Maybe? (But I prefer to say "careful").

As said, pure prejudice on my part so no point is discussing it with me any further - "each to his own" and all that!

Because what was a hobby for the previous owner has now become a monitised commodity for the new owner. Lets face it, we are hardly a prime target market for selling things to, being mainly a bunch of middle aged and older blokes with a niche hobby. The new owners (via Angie) have clearly stated they bought the site and contents, and run several other forums. They are US based and have zero interest in the UK woodworking market. The only thing that made this site attractive is the number of users with a combined interest - much easier to persuade advertisers to splash on an advert when you have a contained and confirmed membership. Even as I type this I am seeing an advert for a US clothing company with prices in dollars - welcome to your future folks.

Contributions pay for servers and admin, but also make a profit. The same thing happens on other sites - wikipedia and the guardian follow exactly this model of asking for donations, others have gone behind a paywall completely or after a certain number of free hits have been reached. You have zero guarantee the same will not happen here in the future, especially if 'contributions' do not meet 'costs' or the profit is deemed not to be sufficient. The purchase price needs to be recouped as well.

The content we have all freely posted is now owned by a US company - and they say that capitalism is dead!

There was a poster on here hours after the new site was launched, clearly a spammer going by the name of 'Mr X' I think?
All of the posts were blatantly copied "how to's"
One of his/her posts was about how to import machinery from the U.S.
I reported the posts and eventually they were gone.
Call me suspicious if you want...

Back