Support Stand / Trolley?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlarsen

Established Member
Reaction score
All recovered from the Chrimbo I hope!

The problem: Not a new one. I have a support stand for supporting long boards exiting the p/t etc. The trouble is, it has no weight about it, and moves about when in use (making the legs "close" slighly causing the roller hight to increase) :twisted: . In short, "as is" it is rubbish. I have tried bracing the legs to stop them folding which helps a bit, as does a bag of sand for weight.

The solution???: I am considering making a small trolley with locking wheels, say, 2 foot square in plan, 3 foot high, incorporating some drawers to house screws / clamps etc. This unit will also have a "roller support stand" attached to one side to support long boards from the p/t and saws etc. The screws etc should give weight, and since the unit will be similar height to my other tables could be used when glueing up large items.

Anyone seen/made anything like this? Is it likely to provide good support for heavy items coming from the p/t?

Cheers

Hi Sam,

>cheeky mode

I have just had that problem, how about you making me one as well? :wink:

Runs back to shop to empty dustbin on cyclone as its backing up the 6" feed tube :shock: and I have only done 1/3 of whats waiting :lol:

Sam,

I have seen something like it in a magazine - I have no idea which one or when!

It was a fairly full-blown small chest of drawers and could do duty for several things.

Personally, considering the value of floor space (in my workshop at least), I would put frequently used tools or somesuch- rather than screws - in the drawers. If not heavy enough, I would load it with some scrap metal or something. I find weightlifting plates useful for that sort of thing. (And yes, I once used them for their intended purpose - for about a week :) )

samlarsen":5h5vblrj said:
The solution???: I am considering making a small trolley with locking wheels, say, 2 foot square in plan, 3 foot high, incorporating some drawers to house screws / clamps etc. This unit will also have a "roller support stand" attached to one side to support long boards from the p/t and saws etc. The screws etc should give weight, and since the unit will be similar height to my other tables could be used when glueing up large items.
Sounds rather like Jim Toplin's rolling tool cart in The Toolbox Book, although that doesn't have a roller support stand, just fold out flaps IIRC. Personally I think I'd forget the roller though and use the ball bearing type or swivelling castors like the L-V Ultimate Roller Stand uses, to eliminate the bias a roller tends to induce, fwiw.

And no, I haven't recovered yet. Hand me the ice pack and alka seltzer...
blink.gif

Cheers, Alf

Who also uses weightlifting weights for their unintended purpose, bought from an ex-Para -as you do.

waterhead37":20zqbrfv said:
DaveL":20zqbrfv said:
and I have only done 1/3 of whats waiting :lol:

OK Dave, wotya making then?

I am machining the 3" ash for my new bench, I have enough to build it now. :)
I am under strict instructions that I MUST finish the cherry desk I started for the LOML in the summer, :shock: I have found working on the large panels a problem on the narrow bench I am currently using. :roll: The new bench will be based on DC's design, with the tool well in the middle. 8)

Latest posts

Back