Supply shortages.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
I've posted this here for want of a better place. I have been trying to gather up some basic things for my Daughter's first house to give when they move in. There is a fair bit to do, decorating and more inclusing a decking re-furb. I got useful advice here on a sander.

Anyway, being miles from any merchants and happy to pay for delivery I set out to find someone like Screwfix, Toolstation etc. who could do the lot in one go - standard stuff like trestles, clamps, first fix saw, the sander, jig saw blades for an old one I have. It was impossible. Lots of stuff out of stock, noticed a few things getting more expensive, so I have done it piecemeal. Even Amazon are showing 'expected January' for some normally easy to get next day items.

I put it down to supply chain/covid in China/home working = more people redecorating etc., but this morning I read this in the Guardian: bottlenecks at container ports. I was expecting stuff from Europe to get delayed after 1 January but it seem like its difficult from other places too. Felixstowe clogged up. Prices are rising.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...lies-as-uk-port-holdups-raise-brexit-concerns
For a keen amateur like me, its inconvenient. For a professional as many of you are its worse.

Nothing we can do, but it explain why its so hard to get some clamps from the same place as some trestles ....

There are shortages and I am afraid you will need to shop at multiple retailers and online if you want the best price and availability, nothing new except instead of say two or three to get what you want you now use more and wait longer.

Not just tools etc. My daughters photographic printer took two months longer than the estimated time of delivery.

Nigel.

Hi Richard, You may have seen it already, but I've copied / pasted my reply from another thread below as it's relevant here too - this is our experience at the moment.

My understanding as below just to share with all on here

Delays are Covid consequences still and only getting worse.. Nothing so far to do with Brexit / but that will be added in the mix in Jan I bet
Ships that were pulled from service are still not back in action - probably the biggest issue.
There are just not enough ships leaving vs containers needing importing.
Lead times from factories also way longer due to increased global demand.
Hundreds of thousands of containers stuck at docks in far east & bribery is now an option to get loaded faster ($8,000) .. we didn't take up that offer.
UK ports have been struggling for some time / we have changed ports due to major issues at Felixstowe - that costs us more too as further away.
We have had containers ending up in Rotterdam as they were not unloaded off the boat in time in UK due to logistics/staff shortages - they then need to be shipped back...
Shipping costs have doubled in last few months.
Getting containers from ports to warehousing is variable as hauliers don't seem to have enough drivers.
We regularly have containers landing all fully sold and waiting lists now going into May 2021 for some items...

I'm not aware of any other machinery/tool importer that isn't facing the same challenges as I've outlined above

Prices have already risen within our range - It's not an excuse - it needs to be done when base costs increase like they have - crazy times...

Cheers,
Nick

The situation is completely mad at the moment - when you see this on Yandles for example:

Yandles Stock.png

Back