Supplier of shaving knot?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
My old shaving brush is looking as old as me, so thought this time I'd make my own. Knot suppliers seem to be in USA or China,(except craft supplies in UK- but their knots are just basic and I thought I'd go luxury silvertip for home made :D ).
I have emailed Rodney Neep, but no response. Does anyone know if he's still around and/or another possible supplier?
Many thanks in advance
Greg

You might find it cheaper to buy a nice knotted brush with a basic handle and chop it off. I have a knot that fell out of it's handle and one day need to get around to making a nice new handle. Problem is I haven't shaved in over 10 years.

I find it frustrating to find plenty of suppliers of things like this, but all seem to source from the same place. the only real option is cheap rubbish. Pen kits used to be the same, although there are a few alternatives now.

If you are in no great hurry, it may be worth seeing how much interest there is and buying a few in the USA or China. I can get them back from the USA at some point in time (within a few months) and Chinese postage is usually cheap.

I read somebody's blog about these which piqued my interest in them. I recall him having to go to great lengths to get decent quality ones, so buying remotely may not be the easiest if things to do, which puts you back at stage 1!

Thanks Marcros. Might be a possibility. I'll see how my other avenues turn out. Certainly China is the cheapest route (assuming reliability), as it seems all badger hair is from there nowadays, anyway.

I made a few shaving brushes a couple of years ago and still have some knots stored away. Some are direct from China and others are from The Golden Nib in USA.
I’ll look them out tomorrow and let you know what I have

I'm guessing it's hard to find them in mainland Britain because Badgers have been illegal to kill since the 90's.

Trevanion":298xb0qm said:
I'm guessing it's hard to find them in mainland Britain because Badgers have been illegal to kill since the 90's.

That's true- all such knots cone from China, now. I had just wondered if there was a reliable supplier here of quality knots.
Cheers
Greg

Munch":kvluykek said:
I made a few shaving brushes a couple of years ago and still have some knots stored away. Some are direct from China and others are from The Golden Nib in USA.

Thanks, Munch.

Munch":2e5wn63b said:

if you have a couple and are wanting to sell on, I would also be interested in one too. Obviously I am second in line, and if you don't want to liquidate your stock, I fully understand.

I've PMed you.

I have more knots than I remember - due to postage costs I bought in bulk.
The Golden Nib has a good page on the different grades of hair - here

My everyday brush is still the first one I made over five years ago. A £2 boar knot in a Bocote handle. Simple shape sits nice in my hand and the amount of bristles suits my face.
Alex

marcros":lorbqcp3 said:
Munch":lorbqcp3 said:

if you have a couple and are wanting to sell on, I would also be interested in one too. Obviously I am second in line, and if you don't want to liquidate your stock, I fully understand.

No problem.

Latest posts

Back