Supplier grumbles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use Imperial or Metric measurements?

• Imperial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metric

• Both

• Total voters

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just browsed the new Incra site. Lots of neat video demo files. Like the look of the T-rule and all the other marking goodies. Seriously makes you consider going back to Imperial as Incra don't make any metric versions.

But, wait a minute, yes they do. Metric T-rule. So browse to Rutlands to find....damn all. Why, oh why, oh why..can't these so-called 'distributors' stock the full range? It's not just the Trule. You can't buy a ShopStop separately either. Other UK Incra suppliers are not much better.

I just can't get on with Imperial. I did not learn Feet and Inches at school and don't have the time to get my head around it. Seems like a crazy way to measure something.

Roger, I could do with an option for "both" in there, please. :oops: I was all nicely metricated until I came under the 'Murrican influence in my woodworking via books, mags and t'net, when I realised I'd have to become bi-lingual. I now do very bad things like using inches for large measurements, and millimeters for the small ones. Ts, tsk. [-X :oops:

I must say, I'm a little surprised that UK suppliers don't stock the metric stuff as a matter of course. Odd.

Cheers, Alf

cambournepete":2kbhzu0e said:
Guess I'm just showing my age :(

You wouldn't be alone in that :)

As one of the 'transitional' generation (at school in the 60s and 70s) I find I naturally think of long stuff in feet and yards, and small stuff in millimetres.

Count me down for BOTH as well. Grew up using either and am now reasonably fluent in both.
I tend to think of smaller sizes in mm and larger in feet. Looks like there's a trend there!

Like many others, I too use both systems. I underwent the metrication transplant many years ago and now generally use metric. But when I consider heights (particularly) over 1M then I automatically transfer to feet!

Bob

Systemes Internationales d’Unites (SI) will outlaw imperail measurement systems across Europe in 2010. Metric only.

Mars climate orbiter hit mars as one team worked in lb/sec thrust and another (simulation) team worked in N/s thrust.

Error factor of 4.45!!!

When it was thought to be 226Km above surface, it was in fact 57Km above it. Luckily, this was a simple orbitter but it had some of the world's best scientific brains working on it.

Next time we mix imperial and metric, someone might be killed.

Would you like to fly on a jet plane that had mixed measurement systems used in it's design????

Edit: to note that I am on this soapbox as I lecture in intrumentation and measurement and this lack of consistency is a sore point :oops:

Tony":176r6xgz said:
<runs off to destroy the potentially lethal side tables currently in the making...> :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3cusbdwu said:
Tony":3cusbdwu said:
<runs off to destroy the potentially lethal side tables currently in the making...> :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I should think so too!!!

Tony":3pfo8145 said:
Mars climate orbiter hit mars as one team worked in lb/sec thrust and another (simulation) team worked in N/s thrust.

Error factor of 4.45!!!

When it was thought to be 226Km above surface, it was in fact 57Km above it. Luckily, this was a simple orbitter but it had some of the world's best scientific brains working on it.

Would you like to fly on a jet plane that had mixed measurement systems used in it's design????

Point taken, but personally I'd rather hope they'd agree what measurement system to use before starting the work...

I did my O and A levels in metric, and usually work and think in metric, but sometimes I have to think imperial. I know I'm over 100kg, but over 16 stone is more meaningful to me. I really can't think in litres per 100km rather than mpg - it just doesn't make sense... :roll:

Pete

cambournepete":6fgtxp3l said:

Bizarrely as a UK Producer (according to the honey regulations), i can only sell honey in 1lb jars or multiples or fractions thereof. However I can't label them 1lb, they have to be 454grams, but I can't sell in 400gram or 500gram jars.

How odd is that? Insisting I follow imperial jar sizes but label it in grams.

Adam

Tony":8gqnbpkd said:
Systemes Internationales d’Unites (SI) will outlaw imperail measurement systems across Europe in 2010. Metric only.
Does this mean that the likes of INCRA will not be allowed by law to sell imperial equipment in the EU? If so it might just encourage them to produce metric versions.

Hi Andrew

andrewm":2pvhjatb said:
Tony":2pvhjatb said:
Systemes Internationales d’Unites (SI) will outlaw imperail measurement systems across Europe in 2010. Metric only.
Does this mean that the likes of INCRA will not be allowed by law to sell imperial equipment in the EU? If so it might just encourage them to produce metric versions.

Or not. :shock:

Cheers
Neil

Tony":1mmu3c52 said:

Ahah! I have just spotted Alistair Darlings cunning plan. He's going to start charging us by the kilometre when we think he's charging us by the mile.

this old fart uses both it drives my son mad when he asks me to measure some thing and i use feet and inches :D :D :twisted: :twisted: ,but thats what us oldies are for .

what did i do with me zimmer frame :wink: :wink:

As an old fart of 57 I was brought up in an Imperial world..ahh the Empire as it was then. I can still count in old coins/money..12ths and 20ies. Spitfires over Dover, independence for India..I saw it all crumble away before I could enjoy it.

My workshop is metric...I think in metric for all projects. I buy only metric measures....so if Incra do not do a metric scale then tough but goodbye.

My real amusement is when at the woodyard I ask for metric sizes and the older guys talk back in feet/inches...crazy world. The young guys seem to get it. The older guys don' t twig that their estimate of 8ft is probably a little out of my actual requirement. They seem to average in feet/inches but be more exactr in metric. Just a behavioural attitude I guess. Been caught out once on this but a robust complaint led to free timber. So its good to be metric.

Some random thoughts from across the pond...

I tend to use metric when I design something from scratch and use imperial when passed a design by another or purchase a plan that uses it.

It is easier for me to divide up proportions in metric when designing something.

Using both at once? Well, I'm not smart enough.

As for a body to legislate an absolute one way or the other? Seems pretty stupid to me.

But then, it seems pretty dumb for a distributor in a particular country to stock the non-standard measuring whats-it when it is available either way.

Usually American companies stock both metric/imperial tools if available, or at least will gladly order what they don't stock often at no extra cost.

I don't understand why either is too hard to learn/use by anyone.

I measure once in imperial, again in metric, and wonder why I can only produce decent results with a scroll saw.

C'est la vie.

:)

Gill

I'd have to say both too... having to be bi-lingual to converse with the really auld farts is a pain... but by far my biggest gripe is... why is it that I can buy metric ply... but just try finding metric router bits.. sheesh.... gold plated hens teeth wi' tartan fillings would be easier....

Back