Supplier grumbles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use Imperial or Metric measurements?

• Imperial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metric

• Both

• Total voters
Tony":2tv3khvy said:
Would you like to fly on a jet plane that had mixed measurement systems used in it's design????

Sorry to say Tony but thousands of people do every day, USA Aircraft are in the main Imperial (they just accommodate metric standard manufactured materials such as skin sheets by selecting a zone tolerance that covers the difference) there are very few Aircraft that do not have major systems sourced from both imperial and metric manufactures.

USA Aircraft with RR engines, and French APU's (auxiliary power Units) are a very common combination. You will find many hydraulic hoses etc. with imperial one end and metric the other, and metric gearboxes with an imperial adaptor for an alternator etc.

I worked in a research Aircraft drawing office for several years during the period of metrication (mostly at the same time as attempts to introduce CAD working) and we were constantly having to mix and match standards between the two.

Granted on a prime level of sorting out the basic aerodynamics, loadings etc. each fundamental design group stick with one standard but I can assure you that a subcontractor from another theater of measurement often use their own and just port the figures to the appropriate standard if required.

I am with you on the need to be vigilant and wherever possible stick to one standard, but in the real world of global supply and competition it is difficult to be dogmatic.

And like most people of my age group mix and match to suit my own perceptions of size. Both my children 30-40's now work in metric and can not visualize imperial.

Midnight":2jrrpriu said:
... why is it that I can buy metric ply... but just try finding metric router bits.. sheesh....

They are stocked by few suppliers in America, a couple even reasonably local to me.

What amuses me about it is that a lot of cabinet makers use metric ply (such as Russian or Baltic birch) as it is very stable and relatively inexpensive. In fact, metric bits come closer to proper size for US imperial sized ply.

But most of the main suppliers (such as Woodcraft, Rockler, Lee Valley, etc) do not even sell metric bits. Point out that most ply is either metric or best utilized by metric bits and you get a shrug of the shoulders and an "Oh well" statement.

I just had to use 5mm ply as backs on some tall bookcases. It took me part of one day to find an appropriate bit and go get it. (Longer than it took to use it actually.)

Ended up picking one from a local machinery dealer who stocks these bits as I could get a 5.1mm that would allow just enough "wiggle" room for an easy, snug fit. Good bits, btw, especially if one needs an inbetween size rather than making a slight adjustment in width for a proper fit.

beech1948":2wqhtp1v said:
My workshop is metric...I think in metric for all projects. I buy only metric measures....so if Incra do not do a metric scale then tough but goodbye.

It's not that Incra don't do a metric scale..just that their UK representatives don't bother to stock it.
[/quote]

MikeW":3fr439b7 said:
Some random thoughts from across the pond...

But then, it seems pretty dumb for a distributor in a particular country to stock the non-standard measuring whats-it when it is available either way.

Precisely my point! But they go the other 'wrong' way round according to the poll. They stock Imperial whereas the poll suggests the majority is metric.

But it's not only measurement standards. You try getting an Incra ShopStop seperately in the UK. You can in the US, of course.

[
Would you like to fly on a jet plane that had mixed measurement systems used in it's design????

Tony you might be amazed but planes fly in feet except over Russia where they use metric . A number of airlines have had to be fitted metric altimeters

Hi Alf..moderators prerogative.

Couple of thoughts though...the poll results will no longer be accurate...if those who voted Imperial or metric then decide to also vote for both.

Also not having both provoked some dialogue as to why people use both. Possible benefit?

Roger

Tony":1wd82nrh said:
Systemes Internationales d’Unites (SI) will outlaw imperail measurement systems across Europe in 2010. Metric only.

Tony will that mean ks on our roadsigns?

Andy

Roger Sinden":1fynrs8d said:
Couple of thoughts though...the poll results will no longer be accurate...
Are they ever? :lol:

if those who voted Imperial or metric then decide to also vote for both.
Are, but those of us clever enough to use both will have withheld our vote to wait for the "both" option... :whistle: BTW, it's one member, one vote anyway.

Also not having both provoked some dialogue as to why people use both. Possible benefit?
Best of both worlds now then. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Oh dear. Better not, Chris. Evidentally you're not far-seeing enough to use both successfully... :wink:

D&R, Alf 8-[

I tend to use both.
If i'm doing furniture or joinery, it's metric as it's easier to layout rods especially if you have components such as glazing bars etc to be divided into a dimension.
If i'm out and about doing general chippying, if the tape is reading metric at the top, it's metric, if I swap hands and imperial is at the top, it's imperial!
Incidentally, its building where the anomaly tends to cause problems.
Sheet material tends to still be imported as imperial stock, so an 8x4 is indeed that.
Plasterboard however is nearly always metric. No problem in that until you have a stud wall for instance that needs both as skins. (A bathroom for example, ply or waterproof MDF lined for shower etc to tile on with a plasterboard skin on the other face.
400mm centres work fine for the plasterboard, but the ply needs cutting down, or 16in centres needs an extra stud to carry the plasterboard end...
I'll finish with a true story.
I phoned a local timber yard about 10 years ago to get a price for 3x2in timber.
'Sorry sir, we've gone metric now, it's 75x50'
OK, how much is 75x50?
'15pence a foot'
:lol:
Andy

andy king":13tzazd4 said:
'Sorry sir, we've gone metric now, it's 75x50'
OK, how much is 75x50?
'15pence a foot'
:lol:
Andy

My local woodyard goes the oppsite way, 6"x1" planks are sold by the metre :lol: :roll:

Back