Supplementary Review - Tormek Diamond Wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've entitled this "Supplementary Review" as the link below includes a review by Phil Irons which says it all.

I appreciate that this will have a limited appeal (Tormek users only), but my gripe with my Tormek Supergrind was the amount of waste involved in re-truing the wheel after gouge sharpening in order to sharpen a flat chisel, so I bit the bullet and ordered the diamond wheel retro-fit from T & J Tools of Willoughby, Warks.

Mr. Osborne (the inventor) is a woodturner and applied himself to making the wheel after he had retired. He's interesting to talk to and obviously dedicated to producing a good product. He warned me that there would be a delay of between 10 and 20 days for delivery, as he needed to make a batch rather than individual wheels. He did not hit my card until the day of dispatch, which - as it happens - was only 11 days later.

The wheel arrived superbly packed, with a good instruction sheet. The only difficulty I encountered was that I needed to shim the inner face with a single washer to prevent rim contact when the wheel was tightened on the shaft.

Where I differ from the Phil Irons review is that I don't remove and replace the small amount of water from the trough in order to prevent the wheel from sitting in water when not in use - I simply lower the trough from its working position to its storage position - job done.

To summarise - this wheel has transformed my gouge sharpening and remains on the Tormek within easy reach of the lathe. It has turned what used to be a bit of a chore into an easy and quick operation and no "sludge" to clean out of the water trough. My gouges are, consequently, performing better because I can re-sharpen them so simply and quickly now, without bothering about making grooves and lands in the Tormek wheel. For flat sharpening, changing wheels takes about 90 seconds.

Not cheap, I grant you, but WHAT a difference in ease of use and the results are superb. No connection with T & J Tools, other than as a satisfied customer. The Phil Irons review is to be found off this page.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

I too use my Tormek for woodturning gouges as well as other stuff and have the problem with ploughing up the standard Tormek stone as a result.

Like the concept of the diamond wheel, but having had some cheaper diamond cards etc that seemed to lose effectiveness very quickly, would be interested to hear how you feel about the wheel when it's been used in anger for a while ?

Thks

Thanks for the review Ray. I have been considering one of these for some time now. Same reasons as you, it is a pain flattening the wheel after sharpening turning gouges.

Why do you change the wheel for flat sharpening? Can't you just use the diamond wheel for everything?

John

Ray,
Thanks for the interesting review and link. It seems like a great thing for folk who sharpen a lot of gouges, although the price is a bit eye-watering!

Chisel, I've been using it now for about three months and can detect no signs of wear or loss of performance. I still keep a magnet in the trough, which collects the same amount of metal, but the Tormek is not - and should not be used as - a major metal-removing tool, so I'm looking forward to a number of years' use from this wheel. As Phil Irons suggests, if there is wear over time, the wheel can be reversed. If I'm still this side of the grass in a few years time, I'll post an update!

Johnboy, I put the original back on for flat stuff to use the side of the wheel for flattening the backs, to get some more use out of it and to reduce the use of the diamond wheel overall.

Waterhead37, that's exactly what I do - sharpen gouges a lot - but at the rate I was losing the original stone due to re-truing for the occasional flat grind, I could foresee that I'd go through at least another two replacements in the time I've got left. That sort of makes a saving, as long as the diamond wheel lasts as long as I expect it to. Sometimes, you've just got to take a risk, so I did, but - just for the convenience alone - I'm totally satisfied with it.

Anyone near enough and wants to give it a try, just drop me a PM.

Ray.

Back