Superglue (cyanoacrylate adhesive)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Peeps,

I finally had cause to buy a small bottle of superglue in order to rescue a piece of wood with a hairline crack. Pretty amazing stuff (well, to a simple ol' galoot anyway) and I started to wonder what else I could use it for. I think I read somewhere of somebody making very tight fitting finger joints and then just letting the capilary action take the glue into said joints. Anyone actually done this? Any other things you peeps use it for in woodworking? Just curious.

Cheers, Jester

SP,

I had that done to me over 20 years ago :shock:

The worst thing was the half a mug of good coffee I did not get to drink :twisted:

Nothing new is there :?:

Regards,

Davel

Hmm, that reminds me of something I'd forgotten. Someone I once knew had a 20p piece glued to the top of their monitor. Used to cause them endless innocent amusement watching people try and pick it up. :D

Cheers, Jester

Would be funny to do that in a public place. Such as a shopping centre - glue it to a railing. (Have an old chisel handy to remove it after)

Or a £50 Note to the floor (If your rich :evil: !)

I used to go to bike shop that had a 50p stuck to the floor. Was not long after they came out, source of lots of laughs :!: :D :!:

Davel

Ah that takes me Back to the prankinish days of youth. A week or two ago :lol:

Some friends of mine, not me of course, had the completely original idea (not) of gluing a fifty pence piece to the ground outside on a busy pavement.

We waited to have the first laugh. Some old biddy came buy saw the fifty pence on the floor went to pick it up and found it stuck. just as we thought the laugh was on her she promptly pulled a small implement from her handbag levered up the coin and walked off with our money in her coffers.

Needless to say we still had a laugh but do you think anyone wanted to offer another coin to the test?

Steve

On a slightly more serious note, I use super glue type stuff instead of small brads or pins to hold joints together. I simply miss a small patch or two (or three) with the traditional wood glue, dab some superglue on this area & who needs clamps or brads etc to hold the joint whilst the wood glue is drying?. I also use it for mitres on dados & decorative trim instead of wood glue. Its sold & used a lot by commercial furniture fitters (kitchen/bedroom etc) under the trade name "Mitre Bond"

Mitre Bound Chris! Of course I had almost forgot.

Many moons ago we used Mitre Bond for fast Shop Fitting Projects. Usualy MDF Pelmit and Cornices. It has a little primer you spray on first to activate the glue but super glue would do much the same job.

It has lots of applications but I must admit to growing out of the habit of using it. It wouldn't in my opinion be a good substitute for wood glue if you have the time but then getting those mitres apart after the deed was impossible, the MDF would give before the glue every time.

Back