Super basic question !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seb Palmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm wondering what the terms are for saw blades, regarding whether or not the teeth of the blade are 'offset', e.g. when they lean alternately left or right, resulting in a cut (kerf?) wider than the thickness of the saw blade, or flush with the blade, i.e. giving a flat blade-width cut.

I'm restoring some saws, and need to fabricate new handles. But if I use the saw blades of each individual saw, they cut a kerf wider than the saw blade. Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

The width of the cut is governed by the "set" of the individual teeth so a saw with less set will cut a narrower kerf but you generally need some set on the teeth otherwise the back of the sawblade will tend to jam/ bind making the whole process harder/ taking more effort.

Hello
Andy Lovelock's video is about the most comprehensive on the subject on youtube.
Definitely worth a watch.
Others you might find helpful on youtube might be Paul Sellers, Andy King, Tom Lie Nielsen, Bob Rozaieski, you will get more suggestions, but little compare to Lovelock's IMO.
[youtube]u-_MF2Mnxwc[/youtube]

Tom

Thanks Tom/Jimmy, 'set' was the term I'd forgotten. I'll definitely watch that video, as soon as I get a moment. Is there a term for a saw with no set? Aren't some of the Japanese saws totally 'flat'/flush? I'm thinking of getting one. Prob' a large-ish ryoba...

Back