Sunday Afternoon Mystery Object Quiz

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question 11

What is this and how is it used?
F894D6CE-7FFA-4EFD-B7E0-2A4B69CA3AB5.jpeg

Drat! Beaten to it on the only ones I knew. (Pipe bender former, glass cutter, rivet snap, mic gauges).

There's something a bit odd about that "trammel".

Q1) appears to be a pipe bending liner for radiusing pipes. Used to line the grippy bit to prevent buckling for a 15mm pipe.

Q2) A beem compass or trammel with what appears to be a border pen with a repair

Q3 no idea

There's something a bit odd about that "trammel".

It would appear to be missing the other point. The threaded bit is a fine adjustment part which should attach to the either the existing point or the missing one.
Be a shame if it is missing, have a good root through the rest.
Also to add it's rather short for a trammel and often two bars were threaded together for convenient toolbox storage. I hope the missing point is on another bar if that's the case...
The pipe bending guide is best with the bender, hope you got it or let him know you have it.
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
I wish I could remember what #8 is. What makes it more embarassing is that I've got one ...

Item 10 looks somewhat like bits of tyre inflator, but I don't imagine they are...

No8 Smith's round swaging iron.
Initially thought it was an all steel coopers hoop driver.
Cheers Andy

Ours came in a tin of odds and ends, but including crimping irons for fitting hydraulic hose connectors.

Another interesting item in the collection was a large metal square, marked Austin Airframes.

I have been very kindly given a set of tools by a member of the forum. They are from his late father, but contain some items that I don’t recognise. So I thought you might like a quiz to demonstrate your tool knowledge prowess.

There are two marks per question. One for what it is and a second point for explaining how it is meant to be used. Each item will be posted in a separate post.
It's a 15mm pipe bending follower. Used for stopping ovality when bending copper pipe.

Back