Sun child razor saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Any idea where I can get one in the uk, Thanet tools I have been told dont stock them anymore.

Pete

Might be worth a PM to Mr. Charlesworth as I believe he has always been a Sunchild advocate and may know where they are stocked.

Ed

newt":k9oh9gmp said:
Any idea where I can get one in the uk, Thanet tools I have been told dont stock them anymore.
Don't tell me you're going Japanesee as well Pete? - Rob

Pete, I bought one a few years ago from Thanet - they are made by Gyokucho.

They are very similar to the Gyokucho I bought from Workshop Heaven which is a No.S-303. The Sun Child is a S-313. They are both "0.3 - 240".

Found this later from the "Pass Around" Thread from Matthew :-
"The Sun Childs are still available from Gyokucho (they were one of their first saws) but I opted to spend a little bit more and go for the yokobiki and tatebiki crosscut and rip dozukis that have superceded them."

Rod

Pete,

Phone Thanet tools and be sure to speak to Sean.

01233 501 010.

The Tatebiki is close but not the same.

I do hope they have not stopped keeping the Sun Child.....

David Charlesworth

Thanks everyone. David the sun child does not show up on their web site, so it does look as though they do not stock anymore, I will speak with Sean and get back to you.

Hi David,

What are the benefits of the sun child over the tatebiki?

If it's significant I'd be happy to stock them as well.

They are pretty similar and over time I think I have got them mixed up?

The one with the partial back looks like the Sun Child on the wrapper?
If so, it is No. S-311 and has more TPI than the S-303.

gyokuchosaw1.jpg

gyokuchosaw2.jpg

S-303 top one - Sun Child (S-311) possibly the bottom one?

Rod

Matthew, Rod,

Sunchild is S-311 about 19 TPI

Tatebiki is S-303 about 16 TPI

Have just tried both on some 9mm Cherry. The Sunchild has a smoother feel and a slightly less ragged kerf. It may be that the Tatebiki goes better on thicker stuff?

Glad to report that Thanet tools still stock the Sunchild.

Best wishes,
David

I bought a sunchild years ago on DC's recommendation, it is amazing, possibly the smoothest saw I have ever used and it leaves an amazing finish. It would be great if they could be stocked in workshop heaven

David C":2w9uqzzc said:
Matthew, Rod,

Sunchild is S-311 about 19 TPI

Tatebiki is S-303 about 16 TPI

Have just tried both on some 9mm Cherry. The Sunchild has a smoother feel and a slightly less ragged kerf. It may be that the Tatebiki goes better on thicker stuff?

Glad to report that Thanet tools still stock the Sunchild.

Best wishes,
David

David, ordered one on Tuesday, received today, had a practice 15minutes ago, very good. On 10mm oak I think it may well compete with my LN dovetail saw, time will tell. Off to cut some dovetails :D

Back