Suitable Underlay For Cutting Sheet Goods With Track Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Beech worktop 2m x 62cm x 4cm to cut down. What type of underlay, insulation board, would be best to use with a track saw?
Cheers.

Trevanion":3pjdqzd1 said:
A 25mm sheet of Celotex is plenty.
Cheers, are there cheaper, as good as, alternatives? What type of square is being used to set the track?

Attachments

• Track Saw Square .jpg
    Track Saw Square .jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 818
Homers double":3cpqpsmy said:
There is a bigger version of the square here, it’s what I use,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-3990-12 ... =8-1-fkmr0
Pop a couple of lengths of batten under your work top and zip through with your track saw.
Empire right, I have an Empire combination square from Axminster, Empire have the reputation for quality. Oh for other peoples information. I remember reading on this forum about buying advice for combination squares and a lot of people really rated the Bahco version also considerably less expensive that the Empire one.
Thanks.

There really isn't much better than the Celotex, it's pretty cheap and it's not too bad on your knees compared with plywood or something similar. So long as your cut isn't going too far into the sheet (You should only be cutting about 1mm deeper than what you're cutting anyway) it should last you a long time and hundreds of cuts before needed to be replaced, plus you could always flip it over and start using up the other side.

I think the one in the picture is a "genuine" Swanson Speed Square, I've got one and it does come in handy very occasionally. I think I paid quite a lot for it at the time since they weren't too common and were hard to get ahold of, Looking here on Amazon it seems you can get one for around a tenner these days. Avoid the really cheap toolzone, Amtech, Silverline ETC ones, they're never square.

It's more of a rough layout tool than a precision square anyway, it is handy for square circular saw cuts though if you're working with CLS and are cutting it up with a circ saw rather than a mitre saw.

This is a pretty good video on how it works:
[youtube]yPL6jOa6AH8[/youtube]

If you have lots to do, regularly, read up about the walko workmate then make something yourself with sacrificial strips made of mdf or plastic that you replace when they're cut to pieces.
The walko is good and ideal for cutting up 8x4 sheet but not cheap.

I have an Empire 12" speed square, it was the only large version I could get at the time. Love it, fantastic tool.
I also have an Amtech 6" and despite negative comment above it was perfectly square also.

Using Celotex or similar does not seem very green. Just been doing a kitchen on site and battens worked fine as did the cardboard packaging the units came in laid over some spare panels.

Trevanion":nbmmzk0e said:
There really isn't much better than the Celotex, it's pretty cheap and it's not too bad on your knees compared with plywood or something similar. So long as your cut isn't going too far into the sheet (You should only be cutting about 1mm deeper than what you're cutting anyway) it should last you a long time and hundreds of cuts before needed to be replaced, plus you could always flip it over and start using up the other side.

I think the one in the picture is a "genuine" Swanson Speed Square, I've got one and it does come in handy very occasionally. I think I paid quite a lot for it at the time since they weren't too common and were hard to get ahold of, Looking here on Amazon it seems you can get one for around a tenner these days. Avoid the really cheap toolzone, Amtech, Silverline ETC ones, they're never square.

It's more of a rough layout tool than a precision square anyway, it is handy for square circular saw cuts though if you're working with CLS and are cutting it up with a circ saw rather than a mitre saw.

This is a pretty good video on how it works:
[youtube]yPL6jOa6AH8[/youtube]

Sorry, I hadn't realised the one I linked to was a cheap copy. The YouTube was interesting watching.

pollys13":1nbre1vi said:
Trevanion":1nbre1vi said:
A 25mm sheet of Celotex is plenty.
Cheers, are there cheaper, as good as, alternatives? What type of square is being used to set the track?
That's my picture!

The underlay is a cheaper than cheap polystyrene 25mm flooring insulation sheet from MKM.

Cost is about £10 for a 2400x1200 sheet.

The square is a large Swanson Metric speed square.

They are bigger than the standard ones you get from DIY places.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swanson-NA202- ... 9566&psc=1

Although it is useful in that it has a high lip for use against tracks, I wouldn't buy it again.

I would buy this Shinwa guide:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2233159744

Latest posts

Back